Helios staking set missing parts

NSteyn

Hi all

I need some guidance and maybe out of the box thinking. I was gifted a vintage Helios staking set which I cleaned up as best I could. See pic.

Here is the problem. It does not have a “locking bolt” or a mechanism to lock the anvil. Can anyone think of a solution to create the required mechanism?

Thanks so much. ad1a756c6c08cfeaca6ecc4658136bf2.jpg

3fcc413ee8b5e62ce8008403a17ef46f.jpg

0f33b8a692f64baef5664d0469925603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you make the part? Or have you thought of getting the part made? Are you sure the person who gave it to you doesn't have the part lying around. 

Unfortunately he does not have it. I checked. Well I definitely will try to fabricate something, problem is I do not really know what this should look like. I imagine some sort of expanding nut?

Hi   I have attached the Bolt's from my two staking sets and the fitting hope this is some help to you in finding somthing to suit.   If you can find a bolt of the same thread and a bit over long the end can be turned or filed to fit the hole in the table so that when the bolt is screwed home it locks the table and when un screwed allows it to rotate.  

DSCF3348.JPG

DSCF3349.JPG

DSCF3350.JPG

DSCF3351.JPG

DSCF3353.JPG

There are two principal ways the plate locks, either with a wedge and screw which pushed the wedge into the post in the plate like Watchweasol's (seems maybe that one just uses the screw but I suspect the screw is a replacement and the wedge has gone missing), or with an eccentric cam. The one Nsteyn needs an eccentric cam. It can be made if you have a lathe, you'll want a 4 jaw chuck to set the piece off center to make the eccentric part (can also shim it in a collet or 3 jaw chuck).

The pic is from a little Star I have, other Stars I have use a screw and wedge, so it's not even manufacturer specific.

staking lock (Large).jpg

There are two principal ways the plate locks, either with a wedge and screw which pushed the wedge into the post in the plate like Watchweasol's (seems maybe that one just uses the screw but I suspect the screw is a replacement and the wedge has gone missing), or with an eccentric cam. The one Nsteyn needs an eccentric cam. It can be made if you have a lathe, you'll want a 4 jaw chuck to set the piece off center to make the eccentric part (can also shim it in a collet or 3 jaw chuck).

The pic is from a little Star I have, other Stars I have use a screw and wedge, so it's not even manufacturer specific.

98843699_stakinglock(Large).thumb.jpg.bec2782aff3ef280244ed81799b4cf84.jpg

Yes! Thanks NickelSilver. Thats my solution. There is no threat and I thought I was missing parts. I will have to find a way of making an Eccentric cam, but now at least I understand how it works.

Thanks a million guys!!