Rack and snail clock

Willow

Hi Everyone hope you are all keeping well, i purchased a mantel clock but it only has made in England stamped on it, i understand it was made for a store called Dubros, i believe Smith's made them for this store.The problem i am having is it's a Rake and Snail and was wondering if the cam that lifts the rack comes off or is it only certain clocks that do this. I have sent some photo's if they help.

Thanks Willow

IMG_20200330_133834931_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200330_133909687_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200330_134029177_HDR.jpg

Thank you both for quick response, I did try and lever it off with a screwdriver but it would not budge, and I was concerned I might damage it by using to much force, I will give it another go tomorrow now I know it should come off, cheers Willow.

Hi sorry to trouble you again before i try and put a bit more force just want to make sure i explained myself right, the part i am trying to take of is just below the snail i know the one near the top with a pin on is called a gathering pallet is the one below the snail also called the gathering pallet which is on the hour hand.

Thanks Willow

As said above, these can be a really tight fit, in some cases they are friction fitted right where they seat, on others they are tight all the way along the shaft. I use levers like in the photo (these are Bergeon, about 10" long) to unseat it, then if it's still tight I use the little puller to coax it off the rest of the way.

Getting it off is one thing, reseating it is another. You will need a hollow punch with a deep enough hole to pass the length of the arbor. In my case I made it, probably you can get by with a piece of brass tubing. The other issue is hand alignment after; on most clocks the hub on the minute hand can be rotated to align it with the strike, but on some there is just a square in the hand itself with no adjustment. Here you need to pay attention to the position of the cam in relation to the square so you aren't striking at 12 minutes past or something.

All that said, if it's yours and you are confident it is clean and not worn, just leave it. For a customer I will remove it no matter what.

In my experience wear is more likely at the pivot that carries gathering pallet, the other cam OH mentioned first. These are usually much easier to remove.

puller.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input Old Hippy has informed me its called  a cam wheel for lifting the strike, i have only started clock repair and bought  a cheap one off ebay to learn, the first clock i bought the cam came of easy, but this one won't budge so decided to leave it on.       thanks again everyone. Willow