Omega Trench Watch 1914-1918

Hello everyone,

My name is Julian and I am new to the forum and new to the hobby of watch repair (although I would not call myself a watch repairer!). I have been trying to read and research my way to being able to repair pocket watch movements as a starting point, so bear with me if anything I say is incorrect. I'm happy to have a forum like this to get the advice of people much more knowledgeable and skilled than myself. Anyways, enough of the introduction, let me explain what I have.

I recently been given an old Omega Trench watch. The watch has certainly seen better days (see attached movement photo). Based on the serial #, the watch is approximately from 1914-1918. The case is likely silver nickel due to the absence of any hallmarks. The dial has a few faint cracks but nothing of major concern. The hand are oxidized and I am considering replacement or refinishing. The movement appears to have rust on many parts of the train. Before I take things apart (waiting on the appropriate tools), is there anything that can be done about the 3rd and 4th wheel or will they need to be replaced?

Worst-case scenario, if I recall, these movements are the same as early Omega Ladie's pocket watches and they could be used as a donor movement?

Thanks for any help/information that can be provided,

Julain

Omega 1.jpg

Omega 2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi  There is a fair amount of filth around and the ratchet wheel and intermediate wheel are a bit grotty, but, If you have a screw driver, First led down the power on the mainspring then remove the wheels and dunk them in coke or vinegar for a few mins then brush repeat as required you will be able to clean them up abit,  Once you get hold of the tools then work will commence.  It looks a nice little watch, definitly worth a go for sure       watch first released around 1910..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  There is a fair amount of filth around and the ratchet wheel and intermediate wheel are a bit grotty, but, If you have a screw driver, First led down the power on the mainspring then remove the wheels and dunk them in coke or vinegar for a few mins then brush repeat as required you will be able to clean them up abit,  Once you get hold of the tools then work will commence.  It looks a nice little watch, definitly worth a go for sure       watch first released around 1910..

Thanks! I’m glad to hear this may be salvageable. It’s 35mm for those who are wondering. Hopefully none of the screws are rusted to the point where they are seized.

2 hours ago, rodabod said:

I would leave the hands as-is unless you are skilled and blueing.

I will definitely leave the originals as-is but I may use replacement that are less oxidized. Not sure where to source the proper size though. Blueing is a skill that is far away for me haha.