kbp

kbp

Hello everybody.  I am a babe just emerging from the woods.  I've always be fascinated by watches and now I've time to learn about them.  Must say I've been reading post and answers for sometime whilst attempting simple repairs.  Now I'm diving deeper into certain topics and need access to technical items etc. hoping to glean insight.  Thanks for being available to those of us who are learning to crawl this intricate world of sophisticated tiny machines.

Thank you Nucejoe.

To further my introduction to this forum, I am, at best, an amateur 'watch repairer'.  Primarily, I am interested in mechanical watches, and plan to maintain and repair some that I own.

However, until I am learned and competent enough to tackle my mechanical wind-ups, I am practicing on a sleek men’s Glycine quartz dress watch from the early 90’s.  I am replacing the movement.  In my search for insight about how to do this replacement I began lurking on this forum and perused other on-line sites for useful information.  It seems though that the movement must come out through the front of this watch.  I have ordered a replacement that is the same as the movement the watch currently has and some tools to aid my endeavor – wish me luck. 

I live in Virginia, USA.  Am aged mid-sixties (late to enter the game – hope I don’t become too shaky or forgetful before I am able to tackle my vintage and antique wind-ups), female (I mention this as it seems to me that very few females seem interested in what makes watches tick!) and the Glycine I’m ‘working’ on has been generously donated by my husband.

I am not always timely in responding to posts, so please do not feel I am intentionally being rude.  I hope all of you will be patient with me.  Thank you.

I am so glad you asked!!!

The movement is an ETA 579.105  

After removing the stem, I could not remove the movement's holder and extract the movement.  The eta is firmly lodged within the solid one-piece holder - there is no play what so ever between the movement, its holder, and the case.  Upon closer inspection, the movement holder appears to extend under the perimeter of an over-lapping rim that runs the circumference of the watch case.  This rim appears to be, by design, forged as an integral part of the case itself.

Concluding the only way to remove the movement is via the watch face, I found a small indent along the seam where the bezel attaches to the watch's body, so I removed the bezel and its attached crystal.  Now I am waiting for a pair of hand remover levers that I purchased on-line to arrive...

Should I be correct in assuming the movement must come out the bezel side of the case, I wonder if this design has anything to do with the potentially ?fragile? mother-of-pearl face?  At any rate I am unable to proceed until I have safely removed the watch hands.

BTW, Glycine seems to hold their specs, even rudimentary information, about any of their back-catalog watches as though they were state-secrets.  They will, however, be pleased to repair my item, but I think the cost of transport, parts and labor would greatly exceed the monetary value of this particular watch. 

Any insight you could provide would be most welcomed.

20200306_104831.thumb.jpg.3ab0fac9d2bffc6bedb05f171cd6954c.jpg20200306_104700.thumb.jpg.8d5a66adcb1c26c1be61355ebd10d264.jpg

1 hour ago, kbp said:

Concluding the only way to remove the movement is via the watch face, I found a small indent along the seam where the bezel attaches to the watch's body, so I removed the bezel and its attached crystal.  Now I am waiting for a pair of hand remover levers that I purchased on-line to arrive...

You also need to remove the snap case back to access stem release.

Yes, I removed the stem when the I decided the movement needed replacing - my bad for not showing the back of the watch open with its stem removed.  I'm also sending a pic of the watch front with bezel and integrated crystal removed.  I appreciate your guidance.

20200331_155410.jpg

20200331_155544.jpg