Unknown tool

HectorLooi

Does anyone know what this tool is? The seller labelled it as a lathe/poising tool.

I bought it thinking that it was a truing tool. I was repairing a chiming clock with a bent wheel arbor at that time. 

When the tool arrived, I found out that there weren't any holes in the ends of the shafts to hold a pivot. So it couldn't be a truing tool.

Doesn't appear to be a lathe tool either.

Thanks in advance.20200328_163905.thumb.jpg.acc356b925e8521dae18b314621e502b.jpg

Hi Hector   It looks very much like a Jacot tool but lacks the extras and also resembles a basic Bow lathe which uses a bow with drive pulleys which are not there either.    So Its a bit of a hybrid may be cobbled together for sale ?  .  Google both watchmakers jacot tool  and watchmakers Bow Lathe for reference.   and also watch makers poising calipers          cheers

I'm with oldhippy, its a turns.

That knob in the centre would hold the tool rest in place which is missing.

A turns is a simple lathe that 'turns between centres' and would of been powered by hand with a bow.

Its a pretty early one though and quiet likely British made, look for a makers mark or name on it because if you can find one it will help date it.

Edited by Tmuir
Spelling mistake corrected

Thanks for all your inputs. Looks like the tool I picked up is missing too many parts to be useful as a bow lathe. 

I'll probably turn it into a giant truing caliper for straightening clock wheels.

I still have a few more unidentified tools from watch lots that I picked up. I'll post them at a later date. :thumbsu: