TISSOT SEASTAR 1970'S 2481 MVMT

Hello. I bought a 1970's Tissot Seastar automatic cal 2481 mvmt on Ebay .Before i bring this to my watch repair man i was hoping you might have an idea what is wrong from how i have described it.. when you go to set the time it will click once an hour like there is a tooth issue in the setting train. It will set fine but it has that clicking issue. 

I suppose its service history is unknown, it could be even that is has never been serviced and getting close to 50 years now. Bring it to your repair shop with confidence, they will telly exactly what it is and provide an estimate.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jdm said:

I suppose its service history is unknown, it could be even that is has never been serviced and getting close to 50 years now. Bring it to your repair shop with confidence, they will telly exactly what it is and provide an estimate.

Thanks. Watchmaker heal my seastar please.

30 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

as jdm remarked, the fact its service history is an un known quantity one can only guess, could be a problem with the keyless work skipping.  I dare say your watchmaker will tell you for sure and a good service will be in order. 

Yes...needs a professional eye. Thanks for the reply.

Your own diagnosis gets my vote. "An issue in set train" You can produce more data, make a note of the min it clicks, repeat to make sure of it's consistency. Turn anticlock to set time, make note of the min it clicks. If the click shifts to a different min, it's friction exasperat fault, if it is at the same min, a broken teeth. The teeth could have been damaged during service a day before it went on sale.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 3:49 PM, Nucejoe said:

Your own diagnosis gets my vote. "An issue in set train" You can produce more data, make a note of the min it clicks, repeat to make sure of it's consistency. Turn anticlock to set time, make note of the min it clicks. If the click shifts to a different min, it's friction exasperat fault, if it is at the same min, a broken teeth. The teeth could have been damaged during service a day before it went on sale.

hello. it clicks slightly further ahead each time you go around the hour. what is a friction exasperate fault and is it costly to fix please

What you describe sounds like a typical fault on these movements, the 2481 has a push quick set.
Very often the spring which supplies the tesion to the setting lever brakes of and the result becomes exactly what you describe.
Sometimes someone has pushed the lever to hard and the result is a bent setting lever. BentSettingLever.thumb.png.64e7fd3f91dde6bf2d4c1ddafb28d374.png

BrokenSpring.thumb.png.e215cb1a6dbf924ef4f0db748665c6c6.png

2481.thumb.png.bcbaa84a6112b2d987c069695c8d5264.png

I sometimes seen the attemt to fix the fault with a setting lever from a standard 2851, but that will not work very well since it has no datefunction and therefor has a slightly different design.
The cost for a fix varies but it is probably a movement which is obselete and identical to the Omega 1481 so the repair might not be so cheap.

thank you for the education. it is so greatly appreciated. you are right the push date function does not work so it sounds like you have diagnosed it right. I will bring it in to my watchmaker and have it repaired. would you know what type of band this would have had. this band is not original and does not fit anyway.

IMG_20200331_185901060.jpg

IMG_20200331_190840435.jpg