gary17

Seiko glass

Question

Hey

Think I may have over polished the glass here. 

It's a seiko cal 7009a and I have the movement details but cannot find anything on the glass

Even if I could find glass to fit how do you actually fit it? 

Cheers

Gary

IMG_20200326_214313.jpg

IMG_20200326_214344.jpg

IMG_20200326_214355.jpg

IMG_20200326_214409.jpg

4 answers to this question

15 hours ago, gary17 said:

Even if I could find glass to fit how do you actually fit it? 

You can get mineral glass flat crystals with a perfectly matching size for less than a pound.
Remove and refit using a crystal press, have a read:

Edited by jdm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• If you are all in the mood for a little bit of Soviet era horology, then I'd like to introduce today's 404 club fixer upper. A Raketa 2609.HA based Sekonda, complete with the obligatory USSR marking on the bottom of the dial.  The gold plated  case (stamped AU9) and the near indestructible Raketa movement make these little Sekondas rather pleasing and rewarding  pieces to resurrect.  I think it too enjoyed its well earned service and good scrub down, as it is now sitting at >270 degrees, beat error around 0.1ms and somewhere around +30 sec per day without me adjusting anything. It is still sporting the original high dome crystal, which took a good polish and save for a few tiny blemishes looks almost new One other great thing about these (I have a couple of similar examples) is the dial. It is both easily readable, and classically elegant at the same time. A station clock for the wrist. Maybe the 1970s weren't completely devoid of taste after all.  
    • I cleaned it by soaking in Home Depot naptha and pegging by hand, 2 rinses. Demagnetized the whole thing, as well. I'll dig back in with both suggestions and report back any findings. Enjoying the process.
    • also;  there several books on the internet on that subject.  good luck.  vin
    • Always hard so make a guess... Anyway, I think the problem is on the dial side, i.e. the dial train (cannon pinion, minute wheel, hour wheel, intermediate wheel). Could it be that the clutch wheel doesn't disengage properly from the intermediate wheel that drives the minute wheel when you set the time? If so the intermediate wheel may bind up the minute wheel making things slow down and then stop. Well, just guessing. Anyway, I'd check the dial train (motion works) and the keyless works. I think your idea of removing the cannon pinion to see if it solves the problem is a good idea. If it doesn't help you'll know for sure the problem is with the train of wheels or the escapement. Good luck and let us know of any progress or any new observations.
    • This was really fascinating, but I couldn’t hear sound, do I have a fault at my end? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk