How it all started

HectorLooi

The watch that started me down this crazy path of watch repair was a Rado Voyager.

I was never a fan of mechanical watches until very recently. Quartz watches were more of my thing. When Seiko AGS and Citizen Eco-drive came out, I though, "Great! Now I'll never need to change another battery!" Haha. How wrong was I. 

I acquired this Rado Voyager when my Citizen Eco-drive was in the workshop. It ran great. Accurate to about 1 minute a week. But everytime it rains, then crystal would fog up. And it rains a lot in Singapore. 

I brought it to several watch repairers who said it wouldn't be worth the value of the watch. That irked me. So I got a sapphire crystal and a new gasket online and proceeded to repair it myself.

When I pressed the setting lever to release the winding stem, the whole lever disappeared. I turned to Mark's videos on YouTube and was finally able to fix the keyless works. But not after suffering days of anguish. 

And that got me hooked. There was so much that I didn't know about that thing on my wrist.

I have spent more on watch repair tools and materials than the total value of my watches. I have even bought a Seitz jewelling set, a staking set and a watchmaker's lathe.

It's an addiction! BEWARE!

20170928_183423.jpg

• Like 5

I know the feeling! It started all for me after attending a yard sale and a woman was selling her father's items. She had a bag full of watches and a couple of watch boxes. At the time I didnt know anything about the value of the watches and neither did she for that matter so offered her $10 for the lot. They were all mechanical; some working and some not. I turned to YouTube and discovered that some of these can actually be worth money and moreover could be fixed. Inhad already owned an Omega Seamaster 300 that got roughly 14 years ago, so loved watches from the get go but now I have taken this to a whole new level!

I had bought be a FireKing watch kit that contained a few cheaply made tools, devoured as much watch repair info as possible and here we are! This summer will be a year since this madness took over and in that time I have , acquired a few more watches and toys. 

Resized_20200318_213730(1).jpeg

Resized_20200318_213735.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi   It seems like now you well and truly in the mire and one in Its hard to get out.  There will be more tools more parts more watches, oils and grease, followed d by more of the same.  Rest assured once the assylum door has shut you will find you are not alone,    Cheers:D 

• Like 1

Sigh.... I know. I'm trying to get my hands on a cross slide for my lathe. But the prices on ebay these couple of weeks are just crazy. I'm also looking for a balance staff remover and auto watch cleaning machine, a waterproof tester..... Sigh!

My interest in timepieces started with my grandmother telling me that one day I would get my grandfather's pocket watch.  Here is the pocket watch along with my two watches that were my fathers.  Waltham - Benrus - Ernest Borel.   

IMG_1541.jpg

• Like 2