NH36 date issue

Hi all,

I’ve recently modified a Seiko SKX to a NH36 movement, all went well and was really straight forward. However, after three days the watch started to stop during date transition (starting at quarter to, and now about half past) with the second hand still merrily ticking away.

The watch fires back into action with a little wiggle although time is out.

The general running is excellent and looks really good on the timegrapher.

I assume it’s some form of lack of lubricant or similar. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Stay safe everyone

Regards

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it necessary to change out the day wheel to the 4 o'clock one? If so, did it get installed correctly?

Yeah it was, all went swimmingly. It stalls on the date rather than the day. Both day and date move freely when manually set.

Is this a brand new NH36 movement? It sounds like something is in a bind in the date mechanism. If possible, please post some pics of the date mechanism without the day wheel. I'll compare it to mine and see if anything jumps out at me.

Is this a brand new NH36 movement? It sounds like something is in a bind in the date mechanism. If possible, please post some pics of the date mechanism without the day wheel. I'll compare it to mine and see if anything jumps out at me.

It’s a brand new one, I’ve asked for a replacement to be sent but they’ve only offered a 20% refund - which isn’t much good if it don’t work properly.

1 hour ago, carlos123 said:

I’ve recently modified a Seiko SKX to a NH36 movement, all went well and was really straight forward. However, after three days the watch started to stop during date transition (starting at quarter to, and now about half past) with the second hand still merrily ticking away.

Looks like the cannon pinion is slipping. If you don't want to undertake the task of of fixing that, which can be a delicate task, just return registered, dispute purchase with PayPal or the card issuer attaching the tracking number.

Looks like the cannon pinion is slipping. If you don't want to undertake the task of of fixing that, which can be a delicate task, just return registered, dispute purchase with PayPal or the card issuer attaching the tracking number.

That looks like the best option, certainly the easier one

3 minutes ago, carlos123 said:

That looks like the best option, certainly the easier one

I would just check that the cannon pinion is fully down. It must click when pulled out and when pressed in..

The movement has actually got worse. Not sure if it was the date transition after all?? Now although running really well, the watch will only last 20 minutes or so off the wrist then stop....

When wearing it keeps good time?!?

Luckily the seller has given a full refund and I’ve purchased a new one. I’m guessing it left the production line on a Friday afternoon.

Regards

Carl

4 hours ago, carlos123 said:

Luckily the seller has given a full refund and I’ve purchased a new one. I’m guessing it left the production line on a Friday afternoon.

Is it from China? The ones I got from there were OK but I think they are they are either counterfeit, or leaving the factory without Seiko knowing. Below our Host Mark getting a duff one too

I think it was from either China or Hong Kong, the (eBay) seller was actually based on Ireland?!? Thanks for the video, I’ll have a look later.

Let’s hope the new one is ok....

On a side not, is there a limit to the amount of times hands can be removed and refitted? Not that I plan to remove again once it’s working, just don’t know the watch’s history

Cheers

Carl

12 minutes ago, carlos123 said:

I think it was from either China or Hong Kong, the (eBay) seller was actually based on Ireland?!

SII main distribution (TMI) is based in Hong Kong but Seiko claims that these are made in Japan, probably thanks to their permissive regulations, for which it's enough to have Japanese directors in a foreign factory.

The ones from China may come with a slightly different packaging and a Chinese day wheel.

On a side not, is there a limit to the amount of times hands can be removed and refitted? Not that I plan to remove again once it’s working, just don’t know the watch’s history

Just be careful in removing and fitting them.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1