Chinese Mainspring Winders

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Well, brass is a metal anyway, it can also be hardened (but not after machining) making very good tools. Also, don't count on what you see shining on Chinese products pictures is steel, because they specialize in mystery metal which is given a good look by plating, etc. If the seller is a specialized one or claiming to be "factory official" there is some chance that asking gets you a sensed replay, but if it's a dropshipper they will always answer what you want to hear.

There's an article in May's Horological Journal about both the Bergeon sets and the Chinese versions. Basically, both get criticised - the Chinese sets for having brass arbors made to look like steel and the Bergeon set for having duplicate arbors and too little variation in the width of the winders. 

Mark Lovick got a mention on the video he made testing the Chinese sets. 

They did highly rate Rolex winders but obviously they're well out of most amateurs' price range so June's edition has an article on how to improve the Bergeon set to be more like the Rolex winders... might be worth a try if you have a lathe and know how to use it?! 

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Take good measurements, add pictures, post all here and I'll see what I can do. 

Not my work, it's in the BHI's Horological Journal June 2021 an article by Justin Koullapis.  I can't scan copyright material then put it online, and I'm not sure I can translate the info into something usable either. 

29 minutes ago, Plato said:

I can't scan copyright material then put it online, and I'm not sure I can translate the info into something usable either. 

Never mind. Although I like to make parts on the lathe it's not like replacing a working brass arbor is a pressing matter, I think.

31 minutes ago, jdm said:

Never mind. Although I like to make parts on the lathe it's not like replacing a working brass arbor is a pressing matter, I think.

The June article is about upgrading the Bergeon winders to work like the Rolex winders, not to fix the Chinese ones. IMG_20210706_205713.thumb.jpg.8326274089323a7d386b6d77c81d0ccf.jpg