Work during the virus

I'm self employed like a number of people in the watch repair trade. 

I work in a shop, which I have to drive to. 

Stupid question, if I don't interact with anyone is it safe to go out, or am I supposed to stay at home. 

The other people at the shop will be going in. 

7 minutes ago, antonyh said:

Stupid question, if I don't interact with anyone is it safe to go out, or am I supposed to stay at home. 

Well this evenings announcement from the PM says that ALL shops, other than food stores and chemists will close.......

My take on it is that there is a risk being in the shop, but the risk is low.

If you use public transport, that may increase the risk.
If you can work from home, do so.
If you have to travel to work, keep contact with others to a minimum, wash your hands etc.

If you have any reason to believe you are clinically at risk (underlying health issues), stay home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, antonyh said:

The problem is we can't answer the question it depends upon where you live. Then we also have the rules keep changing.

For instance I live in the state of Washington I believe we might I had the first death in the US from the virus. Basically what they're trying to do is slow the spread of the disease unfortunately can't stop it they're just trying to slow it down its overloading the health care system. So slowly all sorts of things were terminated. It was visible in that freeway traffic has dropped almost nothing sort of? Places like malls the number of people there of dropped to nothing Monday there was nothing in the mall but I work at. The store manager and me were questioning our sanity of even coming to work. But that problem is solved now the governor was unhappy that not everybody was staying home so an executive order was issued I've pasted the text below.

"The proclamation states it’s still safe for people to go outside as long as they remain at least six feet from each other. Grocery stores, doctor’s offices and other essential businesses will remain open. People can still participate in activities such as bike rides, gardening, and dog walking — as long as they follow social distancing rules."

So watch repair in the state of Washington would not be considered an essential business at least to the governor. So if you are caught driving your vehicle all by yourself to your business they haven't quite formulated what the penalties would be but it really wouldn't Be in your best interest to do so.

9 hours ago, antonyh said:

You can drive to work as it is not possible to work from home. 

Hi    my take on this is If you are not of an age group which is grounded and you have work to do in the shop in isolation  (back log of jobs ) then ok drive to the shop and work under a lock in principal with the shop closed to public access. take all the usual precautions when going home, cleaning door handles etc and keep yourself and family safe.      Cheers

It's still all depends upon where you live and the confusing rules. For instance I'm currently reading the UK rules three weeks all nonessential businesses close down. It's the interpretation of what you read that is interesting?. So that says your watch business has to be closed as it's considered nonessential. I've quoted the main paragraph down below and this interesting section " travel to and from work “when absolutely necessary," So as somebody else pointed out if you're in the UK and you have a backlog of watches and you deem its absolute necessary you can go to work.

"However, people will be allowed to leave their homes to shop for the “very basic necessities," to do exercise once a day, for medical reasons, to provide care to a person in need, and to travel to and from work “when absolutely necessary,” he added. Gatherings of more than two people in public would be barred."

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi    my take on this is If you are not of an age group which is grounded and you have work to do in the shop in isolation  (back log of jobs ) then ok drive to the shop and work under a lock in principal with the shop closed to public ccess. take all the usual precautions when going home, cleaning door handles etc and keep yourself and family safe.      Cheers

Your plan looks fine providing you're in the UK but one minor little flaw? The reference about the age group?  This is like the pictures of Florida spring break continued with all the young people that are not considered the age group yet at least five of them supposedly have the virus. Right now there's too much unknowns. But otherwise the rest your plan is fine.

It probably would be much better though if you had a watch bench at home and you could take your work home with you. 

Thanks all for your thoughts. 

I live in the UK, the repairs I do are the repairs that do are revived by post most days. 

That means that while I am doing repairs I am telling people that we are open, the public then goes out to make a special journey to the post office and  then has contact with the people at the post office and any one else who happened to be in the area at the the time. 

I then have to go to the post office to collect the mail and talk to every one at the post office, I then have to go into the shop to do the repairs were there is no social distancing as the shop is not big enough to keep our distance. 

It's just like a normal day.

If you continue to work without social distancing measures (minimum two metres apart between colleagues) then you are simply risking each other's lives and indirectly their families and other people's lives.

I understand the predicament that self-employed people are in, but it's worth looking at the bigger picture.

I would see if it's possible to work from home.

Who owns the business ? because if you are all working in the same room and not able to social distance yourself then as the business owner I think they are failing in their duty of care to those working in the shop.

The problem with the guidelines as set out by the government is they are as clear as mud, I have to work because we have been placed on a government list of essential workers and as such have been provided with a letter that we must carry on our way to work and if stopped we must show it to the police.

There has been plenty of provision put in place to compensate those who have had to close their business for the duration, you should actively pursue that avenue for income.

If infections continue to rise then you can expect the powers that have been provided to the police to be used more frequently and stringently and it may become impossible for you to continue to anyway.

All stuff that enters your place are to be disinfected,Depending on the surface, coronavirus is known to stay alive (without a living host)as long as five days, perhaps longer on the watch owner's skin. It is one touch or one mistake away from us.Easy for me to say keep safe but when it comes to information, we all seem to be on the same boat, including the world health organization chief.

The Spanish flu killed 50 Million People in 1918. That fact just floored me. I have been lucky to be able to continue to work as our company, aerospace defense, is considered to be an essential business. That said, we have deployed everyone to their homes to work; except manufacturing. Working from home with FaceTime, Google Duo and RDP or VPN is not really an issue. It’s the idea generation that is caused by random interaction with people. Also, I am a social animal, so not seeing people is hard for me; but I do have a very understanding wife. I have an HDML splitter for my iPhone and can push my FaceTime video to a 72” screen and have virtual coffee with my best friend and family members...kind of cool. I also purchased a desk tripod and a iPhone holder, knowing that we will be at this for months. Cleaned the crap out of my office and now can do work and watch repair in the same space. I also put a non-watch repair video of me playing Europa by Santana on YouTube.

So everything is relative. working from home and self-isolating is not as bad as:
1) 55 days in a submarine without surfacing (a friend)
2) fighting in a tank in Afghanistan (son)
3) in the North Pole research facility
4) stranded on Gillians Island (humor)
5) lost at sea (many stories)
6) prison camp (WW1, WW2, Vietnam, etc.
7) sick from C19 ( this should be #1 )

All just my opinion. I did go shopping the other day and wanted to be safe...more humor.
d718aa04848302a8c4a027f49d18b097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cesare said:

Qui in Italia siamo allo stremo delle forze, Laboratori e negozi di ricambi tutto chiuso. Un disastro 

Sono aperti solo supermercati e farmacie.

Please post in English only. Now, those that took the time to translate the above:

What has been written is false. It is insulting to only think that Italians are "exhausted". Far from that, everyone is doing is his  part, and nobody is left behind. Food and medicines are delivered by organized volunteers to the elder or quarantined. Families and individuals in need are already receiving food packs, and additional welfare money will be distributed within a week.

It is just logical that non essential business are closed. However, beside food shop of any type and size, non-prescription medical, also hardware stores, electrical, plumbing, house items shops, tobacconist (they do a lot of additional services in Italy) and few more are open. And one can normally order online, post and couriers are doing a great job. I could go on with more details, if you are curious just ask.

This battle is being won already. But whining doesn't help.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2020 at 8:31 PM, jdm said:

Please post in English only. Now, those that took the time to translate the above:

What has been written is false.

I wonder if you realise how potentially insulting this sounds. It’s an emotive subject, so I would try to appreciate this and try not to patronise people and be more tactful. 

I don’t see it mentioned in the Forum Rules that you must write in English, but it does say:

You are encouraged to be respectful towards other members at all times.”

Maybe worth a read.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, rodabod said:

I wonder if you realise how potentially insulting this sounds. It’s an emotive subject, so I would try to appreciate this and try not to patronise people and be more tactful. 
I don’t see it mentioned in the Forum Rules that you must write in English, but it does say:
You are encouraged to be respectful towards other members at all times.”
Maybe worth a read.

Not only you're late to this thread, but your chastising intervention is very out of place.
Leave to us (Italians) the right to tell things as truly are in our country. Including correcting others when necessary, even if that will sound "patronizing" to your mannerism.
Leave to us, the ones emotionally and practically affected, to decide the tone that we take to each other. Spare us your misplaced lecturing.
I will take as you are the one which missed the encouragement to be respectful, or at least silent on this grave matter. If you have an issue with that, the report  button is top right of every posting.

I have my meals distribution shift today a 3pm. But no matter how spent, have all a nice day, stay safe, stay united.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

I think you’ve missed my point entirely. 

Be nice to each other. If you have to say something then express it as an opinion and not fact, otherwise you will start to sound like Donald Trump. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1