coronavirus

Hello everyone ,please take care and look after yourselves and families as the world wide lockdowns continue I hear the rattling  noises of screwdrivers and parts as we all pull out the watches we were going to do one day.Remember none of us are invincible  https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

• Like 3

Yup, pull out those old projects to see if skills have progressed enough to complete them. I'm looking at my lathe as it calls to me to really learn how to use it, especially to make a balance staff. Of course I might have to find a higher table/bench to place it on, as where it is is pretty low and my neck doesn't like it.

Yes, everyone be careful. I'm using hand sanitizer (Purchased a few days before the big run on it.) whenever I'm out and have touched shared surfaces, etc. Lots of hand washing. too. I do have a couple of N95 masks that I've had for a while. I might wear one the next time I go to the market. That said, if I can stay far enough away from other shoppers I probably won't need it. It may be best to save it in the event that I do get sick with the virus. Take care, all.

• Like 1

The situation is very worrying I have two elderly parents that have underlying health problems, the way things are going here in the U.K we will be in the same position as Italy are now within a couple of weeks, I'm sickened by the lack of regard and common sense of the younger generations in this country, who seem to think they are invincible and immune to the virus, yesterday I wanted to go to the local shop for milk and bread after work, there was a large group of youths just stood around outside and I would have had to walk through the crowd so I decided not to bother, the message is not getting through about social distancing at all.

• Like 1

I don't go out much anyways, so I'm used to being home. I come under the list of vulnerable not just because of my age but I'm a diabetic. I have stocked up on lager and I have plenty of food in. At this sad time I sure miss my two cats. 

Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

At this sad time I sure miss my two cats

You should get yourself another cat when all this is over there are plenty of rescue cats looking for good homes both young and old cats, every cat I've had has either been a stray or a rescue cat, last year we took in a pregnant stray female and had four kittens running around the house, all now re-homed, apart from the mother we had her spayed and kept her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I don't go out much anyways, so I'm used to being home. I come under the list of vulnerable not just because of my age but I'm a diabetic. I have stocked up on lager and I have plenty of food in. At this sad time I sure miss my two cats. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Alcohol kills gems apparently.

My job has been deemed to be essential so I will still be going to work, no I don't have anything to do with the medical profession, I help maintain data centers. They have pretty much shut down our head office and I've been sent to spend each day sitting at one of our data centers in case something goes wrong, so even if they lock the city down I would be given a pass to still travel to and from work, so no extra time for me on those 'One Day' projects.

Though like Oldhippy I just lost one of my cats on Saturday, but it had been a long time coming, it was 19 years old and had been on anti-inflammatories and pain killers for several months but late last week she ran out of 'good days' and we had to take her to the vet on Saturday and see her off. Sad as it was it was the correct decision to make. Her sister has been wondering around the house trying to find her for the last couple of days now.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

My job has been deemed to be essential so I will still be going to work

I'm in the same boat, I work in the chemical industry and the products we make have been deemed essential to food production, I am also a Union Rep so have been busy identifying members with underlying health problems and getting them on the sick as soon as possible and out of the workplace, they should not rely on the NHS here to notify them they should isolate, this is not a dig at the NHS they will be overwhelmed very quickly in the coming weeks.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It’s too soon at the moment. I have looked into The Cinnamon Trust. This is where I think in time I will get my cats, I intend to have two.

Oh yes.  One must have two cats.  One will annoy you while two will annoy each other!

From yesterday, I can offer proof that I did NOT spend the afternoon in the easy chair.

Actually had considered watching a televised repeat of a 1986 NASCAR race.  Back when Real men drove Real cars in NASCAR.  But I got sidetracked in the workshop.  I am attempting to build a long range microphone so the wife can hear the frogs in the forest.  Hey, keeps me busy in the house and away from humanity.   I spend most of my time at home since retiring.  At least until the fishing starts up.

A friend in the city says he is not bored yet, but is amazed to find 14,283 grains of rice in one box whilst there are only 13,997 in another.   Hmmm.

I'm coughing my head off, but believe it to be a cold.  Have no temperature and can still eat anything in sight.  I am encouraged.

Take care of yourselves and family!

DSC_0664_v1.JPG

• Like 1

Some may debate me on my comments, but the FACTS prove otherwise. There are many Americans who align themselves with a specific political party who tend to believe this is all "fake news" and "over-hyped by sensationalist media"! I can promise you it's very real and very deadly! The youth, generally speaking, have a sense of immortality it seems. They take a blase attitude towards most things that aren't actively effecting them. That will change too! The best thing for everyone is to do what the medical professionals are saying to do! They have the right of it. Honk Kong is already paying the price for lifting restrictions too early. Let's learn from their mistake. My employer is also essential (defense industry) SO I will be at work through this as well. Ultimately, every be sensible and stay safe, God Bless!

• Like 2

I'm at work, food production supplier. Hormel even sent us a letter saying essentially "please don't shut down". 

Wife was sick, I've never seen anyone so happy to be told "you've got the flu" when she was tested. :-)

She's recovering now, will be fine.

53 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I can promise you it's very real and very deadly! The youth, generally speaking, have a sense of immortality it seems. 

Yes, it is. But that it is is generally benign to youth is something that can't be denied. A little earlier I spoke to a guy, I think he's well under under 30, from the most affected town in the most affected (at this time) Western country, the coffins piling up at the mortuary as there are not enough ovens for the mandatory cremation - now for a fact, average age of the deceased is above 75 yrs. And they are dying alone, isolated from their relatives, and not given what is a normal funeral here.

He didn't call for a week, he said during that time he had 37.5 temperature, diminished taste and smell, as well his family members. No cough, no cold, no treatment, no testing. But they feel OK now. If that is not covid-19, then I don't know what it is because I never heard of a flu like that.

That being said I do not condone anyone of any age behaving in a less than a responsible way.

About something else, but still related. I've read in various place that in my country the elder is denied intensive care. Now, that is FAKE NEWS for real. Here nobody is left behind, each one is given the best possible care, and even if under extreme duress, our system is still able to cope. If you have doubts read some good journalism https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/dj3jonuhi1/coronavirus-year-of-the-mask

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jdm said:

Yes, it is. But that it is is generally benign to youth is something that can't be denied

No it can't but I don't think the penny has quite dropped with these people, that yes very unlikely they will suffer anything other than mild symptoms or even non at all but once their parents, grandparents, and extended family start dying from it they may learn a valuable lesson at the expense of others.

9 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

No it can't but I don't think the penny has quite dropped with these people, 

Correct. Now, watch this video taken in the London tube this very morning. Some questions arise:

https://video.repubblica.it/dossier/coronavirus-wuhan-2020/coronavirus-a-londra-i-metro-sono-affollati-passeggeri-ammassati-nei-vagoni/356594/357159

Are they all young?
Are they commuting for work or important reasons presumably?
Has the gov.t shut down public transport?
Where are the face masks?

Difficult times, difficult decisions.

15 minutes ago, jdm said:

Correct. Now, watch this video taken in the London tube this very morning. Some questions arise:

https://video.repubblica.it/dossier/coronavirus-wuhan-2020/coronavirus-a-londra-i-metro-sono-affollati-passeggeri-ammassati-nei-vagoni/356594/357159

Are they all young?
Are they commuting for work or important reasons presumably?
Has the gov.t shut down public transport?
Where are the face masks?

Difficult times, difficult decisions.

Hi Mr jdm , some segments of society and behaviors of groups are not affected yet . but it only takes one and hundreds will be effected I would encourage the younger and everyone to minimise the risk . Not everyone recovers and we are not all the same ,and don't  forget the financial side of things the world will take a long time to recover if at all.Face masks do little if anything to stop the virus as it can live on metal surfaces for up to 3 days .And it's all just begun That's where you need to protect yourself . Please take care of yourself and your family......

Edited by Graziano