Timex Electric Battery Watch, runs only 3 to 5 seconds

Fixing a Timex Electric (Dynabeat) Watch (battery) from the 1970's.....with battery will run only 3 to 5 seconds once shook. Battery compartment is clean & sanded contacts. I pulled crown / stem out & sets & moves hands (....when pushed in I can shake/rotate watch & will run for 3 to 5 seconds , ...... with stem/ crown pulled out , will not run....) I believe this is normal......The watch insides look very clean , no corrosion nor battery leakage....

Can any members give me some information on what direction I should take on this problem? I believe this is a battery conectivity within watch movement.....are there any diagrams showing the inside of the movement & how the movement works.....battery & mechanical. Thank you in advance for your help.....Dan

Isn't said at all that is a contact issue. If the train and stepper motor aren't perfectly clean, as in old congealed oil or minuscule debris, the watch will stop, due to the very low torque that this type of motor has.

1 hour ago, JerseyMo said:

although you see the balance swing it could be just the result of you shaking it.  I'd say the balance coil and or the contact wire is the issue.

Thanks for your answere.....what can be done at this point & where are these located?....would soaking or appllying a bit of alchol or lighter fluid help ? Are there any diagrams which would show these areas ? Thank you again  Dan

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Isn't said at all that is a contact issue. If the train and stepper motor aren't perfectly clean, as in old congealed oil or minuscule debris, the watch will stop, due to the very low torque that this type of motor has.

Thank you also for your quick responce. If the answere is congealed oil or some small debris , what can be done......soaking or applying alchol or lighter fluid ?  Do you know of any diagrams for this particular watch style movement ?   Thank you for any suggestions   Dan

20 minutes ago, childhoodantique said:

Thanks for your answere.....what can be done at this point & where are these located?....would soaking or appllying a bit of alchol or lighter fluid help ? Are there any diagrams which would show these areas ? Thank you again  Dan

You have to be careful with soaking the movement since the balance has a lacquer coated coil on it.  So get a can of CRC QD Electric Cleaner.   One or two hits of the cleaner typically cleans things out. than dot the pivots with oil and add a fresh battery.  You jay also have to lube the ends of the balance ends. this is a bit more advanced of a task.  Do not demagnetize the movement.

Let see how this goes....

25 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

You have to be careful with soaking the movement since the balance has a lacquer coated coil on it.  So get a can of CRC QD Electric Cleaner.   One or two hits of the cleaner typically cleans things out. than dot the pivots with oil and add a fresh battery.  You jay also have to lube the ends of the balance ends. this is a bit more advanced of a task.  Do not demagnetize the movement.

Let see how this goes....

Thanks will try this electronic cleaner(...forgot coil is coated, no lighter fluid...) May be a few days to get this , but will try & let you know. Thank you....Stay safe under the circumstances...Dan

9 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Did you get the contact problem sorted out?

I worked on 3 Timex Dynabeats in recent months. 2 were made in Germany and 1 in USA. They were completely different beasts.

20190913_152640.jpg

20191128_181611.jpg

I'm just discovering these little gems and loving there simplicity and cool styling.

Out of interest how do you get the balance in without it sticking to the magnet!

That is a tricky one. I remember removing the screws that hold down the magnet and sliding it out sideways. The magnet assembly plate sandwiches the coil of the balance wheel. Once the magnet is out, manipulating the balance is simple. But watch out for the contact spring.

• 1 month later...

No expert here,  but if contact wires do not properly connect-disconnect, it wont run. That is if the circutry and the coil are healthy.

so, I give the balance a nudge see if this activates the magnet, in which case it picks up and go.

If no induction in the coil, it is turning due to the shake you give it. 

I think I am just repeating what jersy has already said.:biggrin:

• Similar Content