Timex Electric Battery Watch, runs only 3 to 5 seconds

Question

Fixing a Timex Electric (Dynabeat) Watch (battery) from the 1970's.....with battery will run only 3 to 5 seconds once shook. Battery compartment is clean & sanded contacts. I pulled crown / stem out & sets & moves hands (....when pushed in I can shake/rotate watch & will run for 3 to 5 seconds , ...... with stem/ crown pulled out , will not run....) I believe this is normal......The watch insides look very clean , no corrosion nor battery leakage....

Can any members give me some information on what direction I should take on this problem? I believe this is a battery conectivity within watch movement.....are there any diagrams showing the inside of the movement & how the movement works.....battery & mechanical. Thank you in advance for your help.....Dan

13 answers to this question

Isn't said at all that is a contact issue. If the train and stepper motor aren't perfectly clean, as in old congealed oil or minuscule debris, the watch will stop, due to the very low torque that this type of motor has.

1 hour ago, JerseyMo said:

although you see the balance swing it could be just the result of you shaking it.  I'd say the balance coil and or the contact wire is the issue.

Thanks for your answere.....what can be done at this point & where are these located?....would soaking or appllying a bit of alchol or lighter fluid help ? Are there any diagrams which would show these areas ? Thank you again  Dan

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Isn't said at all that is a contact issue. If the train and stepper motor aren't perfectly clean, as in old congealed oil or minuscule debris, the watch will stop, due to the very low torque that this type of motor has.

Thank you also for your quick responce. If the answere is congealed oil or some small debris , what can be done......soaking or applying alchol or lighter fluid ?  Do you know of any diagrams for this particular watch style movement ?   Thank you for any suggestions   Dan

20 minutes ago, childhoodantique said:

Thanks for your answere.....what can be done at this point & where are these located?....would soaking or appllying a bit of alchol or lighter fluid help ? Are there any diagrams which would show these areas ? Thank you again  Dan

You have to be careful with soaking the movement since the balance has a lacquer coated coil on it.  So get a can of CRC QD Electric Cleaner.   One or two hits of the cleaner typically cleans things out. than dot the pivots with oil and add a fresh battery.  You jay also have to lube the ends of the balance ends. this is a bit more advanced of a task.  Do not demagnetize the movement.

Let see how this goes....

25 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

You have to be careful with soaking the movement since the balance has a lacquer coated coil on it.  So get a can of CRC QD Electric Cleaner.   One or two hits of the cleaner typically cleans things out. than dot the pivots with oil and add a fresh battery.  You jay also have to lube the ends of the balance ends. this is a bit more advanced of a task.  Do not demagnetize the movement.

Let see how this goes....

Thanks will try this electronic cleaner(...forgot coil is coated, no lighter fluid...) May be a few days to get this , but will try & let you know. Thank you....Stay safe under the circumstances...Dan

9 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Did you get the contact problem sorted out?

I worked on 3 Timex Dynabeats in recent months. 2 were made in Germany and 1 in USA. They were completely different beasts.

20190913_152640.jpg

20191128_181611.jpg

I'm just discovering these little gems and loving there simplicity and cool styling.

Out of interest how do you get the balance in without it sticking to the magnet!

That is a tricky one. I remember removing the screws that hold down the magnet and sliding it out sideways. The magnet assembly plate sandwiches the coil of the balance wheel. Once the magnet is out, manipulating the balance is simple. But watch out for the contact spring.

No expert here,  but if contact wires do not properly connect-disconnect, it wont run. That is if the circutry and the coil are healthy.

so, I give the balance a nudge see if this activates the magnet, in which case it picks up and go.

If no induction in the coil, it is turning due to the shake you give it. 

I think I am just repeating what jersy has already said.:biggrin:

• Similar Content

• By TC519
      I recently came across this while digging thru a bag of watches. It looked interesting and all of the Google hits for "Swiss Made Timex" are in reference to the American Documents series. I've got to assume I'm not searching the right keywords. I was hoping somebody might have a little information on the subject. While looking recently, I couldn't locate almost any Swiss Made. Most of the watches I did find were quartz movements. Thanks for any insight the community can muster!

• By PiercePrzybyla
      Hey, new to the hobby and found myself starting with old timex watches. I have found that when I swapped my m24 movement with an m72 movement my second hand will slip and fall to the 6 o'clock position when the face is held perpendicular to the ground. Any ideas for a newbie?
    • By terrapinrecs
      Does anyone have any experience cleaning up tarnished numbers? I have a 1962 Timex Marlin that needs a little bit of work to really show it's potential. 
      The dial is in nice shape for the most part other than the numbers....I would be open to any suggestions??
      Thanks in advance! 
      Jamie
      edit: I suspect the tarnish was caused by deterioration of the lume dots that have NOT aged well...

• By HectorLooi
      This was sitting in my junk pile for some time. I was looking for a spare contact wire for one of my Timex Electrics, and I remembered that the Timex Electronic has a contact wire. But when I opened it up, it was a totally different beast inside.
      The movement number on the dial plate is 882, which I checked up is a M87. The balance appeared fine. So I put a battery in to see if it would fire up. And it does!
      After cleaning it up, it doesn't look half bad. And now I have to continue searching for a contact wire....

• By HectorLooi
      I started disassembling this Timex 21 jewel M75 last night. Having an obsessive compulsive nature, I couldn't stop at just removing the calender works and soaking the movement in naptha. I removed almost everything except the mainspring. Including every endstone. 
      I have not seen any other watch with so many endstones. My question is, what oil do I use for a Timex? Do I use the whole gamut of D5, 9010, 9415, molykote DX...?
      All other Timex posts on this forum only mention oiling but don't talk about what oil to use.
      I'm sure JerseyMo must be shaking his head and laughing so hard now.