How to bypass parts restrictions?

Not being able to buy new unused ETA watch parts because they are restricted is very frustrating. Right now, for example, I have an ETA calibre 2772 from the 70-ties that is working perfectly after a service, except, the oscillating weight bearing is worn to the point it doesn’t wind the watch properly. After a full day of wearing it the power reserve doesn’t reach more than about 7 hours. And yes, winding it manually gives it a full power reserve.

Searching for this part on Cousinsuk.com gives two results, one being obsolete and the other restricted and there are no alternatives. However, I was able to source this part used from julesborel.com. Importing this from the US to the EU (Sweden) costed me near $50, more than I had paid for the watch itself. However, now that I have installed it, it doesn’t perform much better than the bearing I had. I will ask julesborel.com if they can replace it, but that will inevitably make the part even more expensive.

So, that was a long-winded intro to my question which is: Who exactly can buy new unused ETA parts that are restricted? I’m a hobbyist but my impression is that not even professional independent watch repairers are allowed to buy these parts. Is that correct? Otherwise my idea was that if I go to one of these professional repairers and ask really nicely, they will sell me these parts.

Having written the above paragraph, I just gave it a try and called a well know repairer in Stockholm. Long story short they would not sell me any parts period, and yes, I tried to sound as friendly as I possibly could. What they could offer me was a full-service including repair of the bearing. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I can understand them. If I was a professional, I wouldn’t want competition from hobbyists.

So, what is the most practical approach to this dilemma? :unsure:

From what I understand there is no getting round this other than becoming an authorised ETA repairer, which obviously isn't a viable option.

This is why a number of independent shops are moving away from selling ETA branded watches as they cant service them.

Its is also what caused Selita to start making their own movements based on older ETA calibres and why a lot of independent watch companies now use Selita movements instead of ETA movements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tmuir said:

Its is also what caused Selita to start making their own movements based on older ETA calibres and why a lot of independent watch companies now use Selita movements instead of ETA movements.

... and from Cousins' site..

Many independent watch manufacturers are now using mechanical movements made by the Sellita Watch Company of Switzerland.

The movements are based on the very popular ETA series of movements ETA produce, e.g. ETA 2824, 2834, 2836, 2890, 7750 series.

Some, but not all ETA movement parts are interchangeable with their analogous Sellita movements. We stock a complete range of parts.

So you *may* be able to use *some* Sellita parts, but you would be dong so at your own risk. Not because of quality issues, since Sellita is a quality manufacturer, but simply because of differences in geometry and materials. Not all parts will be cross compatible.

This kind of nonsense has gone on for years, and it almost invariably ends the same way.

Someone, usually in the far east, clones the parts, and flogs them as if they are genuine. The manufacturer's reputation takes a hit as their quality is poor. The manufacturer(s) react by making things difficult for their customers, and... the manufacturer's reputation takes an even bigger hit. One example springs to mind -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI

My advice, for what little it is worth, is for ETA to make the parts generally available, make certification of watch repairers extremely affordable, but insist on high skill level for successful certification. Then kill the competition by using fear uncertainty and doubt about non certified repairers and parts.

You need to keep *both* the customers and the repairers on side, otherwise you will shoot yourself in the foot.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Thanks 1

I had completely forgotten about Selita. Anyway, as a hobbyist, constantly on the lookout for interesting watches, if it's an ETA inside there's no telling if you'll ever be able to find spare parts within some sort of reason. It is sad and it sucks.

Are the Selita parts interchangeable with the ETA parts? Any interesting or useful links about it?

4 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Not being able to buy new unused ETA watch parts because they are restricted is very frustrating.

Just ETA parts? Actually that policy is pretty much uniform for all Swiss watch makers. And the "independent" mov't makers of which there is really just 2 or 3, do not exactly stretch to make their parts available. Sure you see the periodic postings from desperate owners or beginners, "where can I find parts ?"

When approaching to this hobby that is something one has to consider and accept, together will the other difficulties of course.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Are the Selita parts interchangeable with the ETA parts? Any interesting or useful links about it?

Don't count on that. However if you want to stay with current ETA mov't Cousins (for now) has all 2824 parts but some grade or maker specific ones.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2