How to determine the right amount of oil of the Pallet Stone?

Question

I've been using  Moebius 9415 to oil the pallet stone. I usually oils the exit pallet impulse face with the amount like you drop a little bubble on it.

I really don't know how much amount I should applied and is there any sign to tell whether I'm overoil or underoil.

I have one strange case though, the movement right after assembly has 260~270 amplitude but drop to 230 after 10 minus or so. Is this relevent to the pallet stone oiling?

Just to throw another theory into the fray, I read in either one of De Carl’s or freid’s  books that they use a small piece of peg wood, basically they get the oiler with oil and allow the oil to soak/sit on the peg wood, then they use the peg wood to directly apply the oil to pallet stones. I personally have used this method and I seem to find it works fine.

As to wether there is contamination from the wood I haven’t seen any yet looking under the microscope.

6 minutes ago, transporter said:

Just to throw another theory into the fray, I read in either one of De Carl’s or freid’s  books that they use a small piece of peg wood, basically they get the oiler with oil and allow the oil to soak/sit on the peg wood, then they use the peg wood to directly apply the oil to pallet stones. I personally have used this method and I seem to find it works fine.

As to wether there is contamination from the wood I haven’t seen any yet looking under the microscope.

I'll have no idea whether it's good or not since I use 9415. I think it won't soak into the peg wood so it'll act it's like a oil pen in my particular case. But I'm not sure if you use 941. probably function better

• Similar Content

• By Flubber
      I was thinking about using Fixodrop but  have a hard time figuring out what parts to use it on. The fewer the better considering the abhorrent price for it. What I got so far.
      * Pallet jewels
      * Escape wheel
      * Reversing wheel on automatic
      * Balance End stones

What is your opinion on this ? Should the end stones be treated, and if so, does that include the chaton ? 
    • By MechanicMike
      Hi all-is there a name for the crescent shape of this fork and its purpose? Vague memory of seeing one like this but can't find where I had seen it.
      Thank ya
      MM

• By transporter
      Guys, could you look at the photos and see if by your experience this pallet comes apart? I need to drill it to fit a new pivot as one has snapped. 
      The smallest collet i have is 1.4 mm so I might need to put it in my larger lathe with a 3 jaw chuck and a dedicated drill tail stick to drill and fit the new pivot. 
      Really annoyed as the movement was going when I realised that I put the ratchet wheel on the wrong way round, proceeded to strip the movement happy that it was going and somehow, don’t know how the pivot got snapped on the pallet so a bit miffed now as I know I don’t have one of these in the spares box!!!
      cheers for any help

• By Graziano
      Good evening all , just wondering do any of you guys or gals like to use capillary fountain oilers . I have been using them combined with dip oilers for a while and I must say I enjoy using the capillary oilers some times over the dip oilers . Am I old fashioned or what ? 
    • By Bethan36
      Hi Fellow People,
      Im reaching out as I’m currently learning all I can about watchmaking, and am working through the BHI distance learning technicians course, with my exam booked for May. 
      I will need to service a quartz watch as part of my practical exam, and am learning about watch lubrication. 
      A few months ago I found a great article that covered the technique for dipping and collecting the right amount of oil on the oiler, such as the speed and angle of the dip, however, I now can’t find it anywhere, no matter how much I search the internet 
      Does anyone have or can point me in the right direction of instructions specifically on oil collection on the oiler?  As you will know there is lots on the actual oiling process but not the oil collection process.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
      Thanks
      Bethan