German Made Clock "Liberty"

JerseyMo

Nothing to exciting but I did get to try something different today by way of getting a clocking to tick again.  Its a nice little clock and so far it seems to be doin ok with an occasional stop. The dial is paper and I do not see any makers marks other than Germany on the movement. The back cover is clearly hand made and my guess is that this was made for tourist trade.  For now it will sit on my bench until I get a bit more time to have a closer look inside.

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Looks to be a 2 inch 30 hour movement. Years ago if the movement wore out, you would just buy a replacement. They don't make the wind ups any more only Quartz which I hate. 

This one looks very dry, Its a good thing to make sure the pivots of the staff are nice and pointed like a sharpened pencil and not blunt. This can easly be repaired in a lathe using a small Arkansas stone with a little oil. It also improves the balance action. 

• Thanks 1

well it ticks but stops and I think I found the issue to be one of the pivot holes is elongated now. I can see the pallet fork shifting. for sure it is from poor lubrication and the fact that the fork shaft is steel and the plate is brass. oh well it was a fun project but not worth going any further for me.

I bet there is more wear to the parts as well.

Hi There Mo   As Old H says they are quite straight forward to re bush and its an interesting design of clockcase.  You don't need special tools just skill. I have done several using a drill press and a set of broaches and have had no problems. For a man of your talents a doddle, an afternoons work. The movement is just a little pin pallet would be like bushing a pocket watch only easier plates are thinner.  cheers and stay safe in these times.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The cups for the balance and the pallet pins. 

tyes, I did the cups but not the pallet pins.  That is done now and I did notice the minute hand was a bit askew and reset the gap between it and the hour hand.  Right now it is at least running, how accurate it will be I don't know.  For me it would be cool just to hear it tick.

IMG_1532.jpg

This type of. movement were plentiful, fitted to all manner of small clocks, I am sure I have a couple in a drawer with some others, they were like the little travel alarms popped up with all different names on them . Because they were fairly cheap they were thrown away not repaired. soon be collectors items.