Urgos mantle clock

Klassiker

This is not a chime but a strike. Can you please photo the minute hand both sides, sometimes the center of the hand can work loose , this can cause the clock to be out when striking before or after the hour. So a photo will help me, to advise you on the options to take. 

Hi Old Hippy,

thanks for "chiming" in. This is the bush on the minute hand front and rear:

DSC02151.thumb.JPG.5331a0a8d2806096fd39d1a2dc68ac55.JPG

DSC02152.thumb.JPG.34a59c48ac0c2521e4cc2ad56e3abd2b.JPG

It isn't loose.

As you can see, it fits to a square on the centre shaft. This is the assembly of that same centre shaft beneath the snail cam:

DSC02132.thumb.JPG.6c0c83a635fca025d9e1a547f5f0f0f3.JPG

That pinion with the two cams with sharp trailing edges is a press fit onto the shaft. I suspect it is this pinion which I have to position precisely, but with more luck than judgement.

When the clock strikes on the half hour is the minute hand in line with the 6 on the dial? Those cams can be buggers to get off. The other way is to move the hand collet This is how I used to move them,  find a  square file  that is a good fit and put it in your bench vice, slip the hand onto the file and from the bass of the hand move it until it is in the right position, be very careful not to break the hand off. When in line tighten the collet with a few taps on a hammer. 

• Like 1

The strike is also a minute early at the half-hour. have had that centre cam off to do the cleaning. It was indeed difficult, but not impossible, if that would be the only place to do the adjustment. Turning the hand on the bush though has the advantage of being quicker (less dismantling and remounting in between hit-and-miss adjustments), so I'll give it a go. I'll have to be careful though, as it's not my clock.

I used the staking set in the end.

DSC02153.thumb.JPG.f0ed11fdf5cce3e6eea792f33057db7b.JPG

A few gentle taps loosened the riveted flange of the collet slightly. Then I used an awl (similar to the tool pictured in Clockboy's post) to turn the hand relative to the collet.

Thanks to both of you for your help!