Hi from rookie Truls

Truls

Hi, I'm just starting learning about watch repair and bought myself some tools and microscope, very happy to be in this group. Of watches I have Seiko "Pogue", vintage Longines Flagship, vintage Yema mechnical (kids watch), and a vintage Omega Seamaster on its way :)

Edited by Truls

Welcome,

If I might suggest, that you don't go pulling apart your vintage, rather expensive watches you named in that list, until you buy some £10 - £20 watches and played around with those to get a feel for what you are doing. We are all here to help and before long you will have the confidence and a little more experience to tackle those watches you mentioned

• Like 3

Welcome aboard! As @Jon stated, teaching yourself watchmaking on more expensive watches is a potentially expensive lesson in the making. In line with Jon's statement, $10 to $20 watches are a great place to start. May I suggest old mechanical Timex's as there are heaps of mid 70's models available for a song on eBay.  They're super simple and generally easy to troubleshoot and fix and once you do, they become surprisingly reliable timekeepers. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask us for help should you get stuck.

• Like 1

Thank you for your adivices. As you mention it is best to start with some cheaper mechnical watches. And this is my intention. Therefore I started to look for some Seiko's but they are a little to hard to come by cheap options here, so at the moment Im looking for anything mechanical, maybe prefereble hand wound. Im sure I'll back here looking for answers :)

• Like 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

I always recommend you start with a pocket watch. Just practice taking it apart and putting it together. Most are like a watch movement. Get to know the names of the parts as well. Don't touch the fusee pocket watches as those are completely different. Some thing like this is a good start.  

DSC04851_530x@2x.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi If you want cheap wrist watches look for the Russian ones  Wostock, Racketa etc usually pick them up non working for a pound or two

Couldn't agree more and remember that Russian movements are more like the Swiss movements in design unlike the Japanese movements. You might find my walkthrough of the Vostok calibre 2409 useful.

Other than that, I agree a lot with @oldhippy. I think the most ideal movement to get started with is a Unitas calibre 6497 or 6498 (or a clone), and once you've finished servicing it you'll find hundreds if not thousands of options on eBay if you wish to case it and wear it. It is also the movement used on watchrepairlessons.com which in my opinion is the best and most affordable way to learn about basic and semi-advanced repairing and servicing.

Good luck!

• Like 1