How to attach hairspring wheel to balance cock

The end of the HS is normally attached via HS pin (very small brass tampered pin). The easiest way I have found is (if the HS is already installed onto the balance) is to fit the balance and balance bridge into the watch plate. Once the balance & bridge are fitted you can then swivel (Obviously the pallet folk & assembly must have been removed) the HS around and carefully thread the HS end through the stud hole & pin it. 

You should be able to turn the thick part to open it. Fix the complete balance, making sure the hair spring is between the regulator and then close it. Just be careful when closing the hairspring is out of the way, you do not want to pinch it.  

I've attached a lesson I wrote on the BFG 866, which includes refitting the hairspring. Just make sure to turn the boot 90 degrees with a screwdriver of appropriate size to enable the hairspring to sit between the boot and curb pin. Fit the stud, then close the boot.

If your hairspring needs refitting to the stud, you'll need a small brass pin shown in the photo. I prefer to fit the HS when it is clear of the balnace

Lesson 15. The Baumgartner 866 continued.ppt

Edited by Jon
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jon said:

I've attached a lesson I wrote on the BFG 866, which includes refitting the hairspring. Just make sure to turn the boot 90 degrees with a screwdriver of appropriate size to enable the hairspring to sit between the boot and curb pin. Fit the stud, then close the boot.

If your hairspring needs refitting to the stud, you'll need a small brass pin shown in the photo. I prefer to fit the HS when it is clear of the balnace

Lesson 15. The Baumgartner 866 continued.ppt 10.5 MB · 8 downloads

Now I see! I didn't even know there was a boot that turned. So, I get what I'm supposed to do, but after I fit the stud what is the best way to get the hairspring to slide in between the pin and the stud? I've tried laying the hairspring so that it lines up with the stud and in between the boot and pin before fitting the stud, but it's a game of cat and mouse. I am patient and stubborn: two traits required for this hobby.

Also, which tool is best used for laying the hairspring between the pin and boot? Tweezers? I barely look at a hairspring and it bends.

4 hours ago, gina said:

what is the best way to get the hairspring to slide in between the pin and the stud?

It is easier if you increase the distance between the regulator and the stud. The disadvantage is, you have a lot of readjusting to do later.

Use the sharpened oiler (clean it thoroughly first) or the tips of your very finest tweezers to gently lift and ease the spring into position. You only need to tickle the spring from one side, so it can slip over the tool and move away if it wants to. Eventually you will find the right move, and it will seem obvious. If you try to grip the spring with tweezers and lift it you risk forcing it and deforming it, either with too much pressure, or too much movement.

21 hours ago, gina said:

Now I see! I didn't even know there was a boot that turned. So, I get what I'm supposed to do, but after I fit the stud what is the best way to get the hairspring to slide in between the pin and the stud? I've tried laying the hairspring so that it lines up with the stud and in between the boot and pin before fitting the stud, but it's a game of cat and mouse. I am patient and stubborn: two traits required for this hobby.

Also, which tool is best used for laying the hairspring between the pin and boot? Tweezers? I barely look at a hairspring and it bends.

Sometimes it is easier to make sure the hairspring is sitting between the boot and curb pin before fixing the stud in place. It's just practice... as you said 'cat and mouse'

If the hairspring is not concentric or part of it is out of shape, the hairspring when sitting between the boot and curb pin will push against one of them when the stud is fixed in place, thus not allowing a small movement of the hairspring to 'bounce' between boot and pin whilst the balance is spinning. This in turn technically shortens the hairspring because of the lack of free movement and the watch will run fast because of the shorter hairspring.

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone :),

I'm a newbie here and was wondering if the lesson 15 is still available anywhere? I've only just started  my journey and this forum has been a really good source of information and although the movement I'm working on is a Brac 502, I thought I might ask the group as I'm sure this would be helpful. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...