Watch slows down when setting time

On 3/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, Endeavor said:

These are great watches and unbeatable with regards to Value/price ratio. In fact they beat nearly all, if not all Swiss watches as for sophistication & design for the price.

I just couldn't agree more! The affordability of these watches is nothing short of incredible if you ask me. Without them I, initially being the mechanical idiot, would never have been able to muster the courage to try to take a watch movement apart, as they, when used, cost next to nothing. I owe so much to Vostok and these movements will always have a very special place in my heart.

So, if you've never had the pleasure of wearing a Vostok, chances are you'll never regret it if you give it a try, and there are hundreds if not thousands on eBay in all shapes and sizes for just a few dollars. A quick search on eBay for "Vostok watch" gave me 15,827 results. There's a very definite reason for that.

Edited by VWatchie

On 3/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, jdrichard said:

You mentioned and I saw the thin metal spring at the bottom of the second hand wheel. What is that all about

@jdrichard my apologies for the delayed response, I somehow missed your question.

That spring is the tension spring for the seconds hand pinion and is there to prevent the seconds hand jittering due to the back lash between the pinion leaves and the teeth on the wheel that drives it (the pinion). If you try to install the seconds hand without supporting the other end of the pinion (or the spring) all that happens is the spring will flex allowing the seconds hand pinion to move down into the watch as you try to push the hand onto it, and the hand won't install properly.

If I remember correctly the trick with this movement is to install the autowind bridge and the axial rotor retaining screw without the rotor. If you do this the end of the screw can reach the end of the seconds hand pinion, so tightening up the rotor screw until it just makes contact with the spring supports the pinion while you install the hand allowing the hand to be pressed fully home.

• Like 1

[mention=1704]jdrichard[/mention] my apologies for the delayed response, I somehow missed your question.
That spring is the tension spring for the seconds hand pinion and is there to prevent the seconds hand jittering due to the back lash between the pinion leaves and the teeth on the wheel that drives it (the pinion). If you try to install the seconds hand without supporting the other end of the pinion (or the spring) all that happens is the spring will flex allowing the seconds hand pinion to move down into the watch as you try to push the hand onto it, and the hand won't install properly.
If I remember correctly the trick with this movement is to install the autowind bridge and the axial rotor retaining screw without the rotor. If you do this the end of the screw can reach the end of the seconds hand pinion, so tightening up the rotor screw until it just makes contact with the spring supports the pinion while you install the hand allowing the hand to be pressed fully home.

Thanks Mark. I ended up taking off the rotor and taking a small steel rod and placing it where the screw goes, then carefully pushing down on the second hand. It worked but I like your technique way better. Big thanks. Now off to make another balance staff.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk