Looking for parts for vintage pieces.

Hello dear watchmakers.

I have two vintage movement and I need mainsprings for them. I would like to get just the mainspring or spare movement without breaking the bank..

First movement is Vulcain 6 jewels pocket watch movement. 

Measurement : 3.6mm(thickness), 36.0mm(diameter)

Second is a 15 jewels movement from unkonwn manufacture. 

Measurement : 4.0mm(thickness), 23.5mm(diameter)

Any advice would be grateful.

Thank you and have a nice day:)

20200311_221608.jpg

20200311_221558.jpg

20200311_221646.jpg

20200311_221633.jpg

You could try watch material suppliers. If you hover over Resources at the top of the page, then go to Parts & Tools suppliers then the country you are in. How about ebay. Look in your local papers for for closing down or retired watchmakers, auction houses, which is where I picked up loads of parts/tools.  Main springs shouldn’t be that hard to find, you might have to get the next best thing.

7 hours ago, east3rn said:

I have two vintage movement and I need mainsprings for them. I would like to get just the mainspring or spare movement without breaking the bank..

Finding new part for old watches may be very difficult. I suggest that you measure the mainspring and then use Cousins UK "mainspring finder" to get a best match. These are not very expensive and come ready to install from a roundel, saving the need for a mainspring winder.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, oldhippy said:

You could try watch material suppliers. If you hover over Resources at the top of the page, then go to Parts & Tools suppliers then the country you are in. How about ebay. Look in your local papers for for closing down or retired watchmakers, auction houses, which is where I picked up loads of parts/tools.  Main springs shouldn’t be that hard to find, you might have to get the next best thing.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:24 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi  First port of call   Obsoletewatchandclockparts.com .  UK          Speedkollection    Europe.   welwynwatchparts      UK    all good sources of vintage and second user parts.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, jdm said:

Finding new part for old watches may be very difficult. I suggest that you measure the mainspring and then use Cousins UK "mainspring finder" to get a best match. These are not very expensive and come ready to install from a roundel, saving the need for a mainspring winder.

I appreciate generous advices! I guess it will be a bit challenging to find the right ones..

2 minutes ago, east3rn said:

I guess it will be a bit challenging to find the right ones..

That ssn't said at all. Générale Ressorts has been making mainsprings since 150 years and their catalog is mainly comprised of MS for vintage mov'ts. Beside, a small difference is acceptable when replacing a MS.

• Like 1