Elgin Wrist Watch Lever???

Seth

Hi there,Can anyone advise me on what this small lever is for under the dial of an Elgin Watch that I have picked up.The watch is running but it is missing the crystal,crown and has a broken winding stem.On removing the hands and movement then the dial ready for cleaning etc I noticed a small lever which  is sprung and is part of the winding/setting mechanism but I am at a loss on how this is used as there is no cutout in the case and this is hidden when the dial is fitted.If anyone can throw any information on this I would be most grateful.I enclose 4 pics of the watch as obtained.Regards to all,Seth.

Elgin + Hands.jpg

Elgin.jpg

Bottom Plate.jpg

Top Plate.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what purpose the lever serves. Its normal position is to the left. I know that when it's to the right, it's impossible to set the time, however winding is still accomplished. I do not know why you would want to isolate the setting and winding modes in this way. Another mystery from the past, lol

i think that lever is the click ( or paul ) ratchet to wind the main spring,   or to "let down"  the main spring.   -  on a lever set pocket watch,  the lever disconects the winder so to set the hands.  i don't see anything like that here.     vin

Edited by vinn3

12 hours ago, vinn3 said:

i think that lever is the click ( or paul ) ratchet to wind the main spring,   or to "let down"  the main spring.   -  on a lever set pocket watch,  the lever disconects the winder so to set the hands.  i don't see anything like that here.     vin

Many thanks for all of your help and replies,I have found a very detailed description of this lever on my Elgin on Google .Regards to all Seth.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:02 AM, Seth said:

Many thanks for all of your help and replies,I have found a very detailed description of this lever on my Elgin on Google .Regards to all Seth.

Is this something that has a link to share? I would love to know what it's for as well.

Hi there, I did as Kraai suggested and searched in Google and this is what I have found out.It came up with the NAWCC website and an item entitled "Elgin Pocketwatch Lever Broken" dated Mar13 2016. It describes the lever with photos and it is to allow you to put the watch into a "service" position when out of the case.Hope this is of help.Regards,Seth.