The Theory of Horology

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Can’t you get a copy from your local library that will save you all that hard earned cash?

I'm not sure how it is in the UK or other countries, but in mine no such books are available at public libraries.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You can ask at the desk in you library to get the book for you..  

Let me try to explain that again ;-) 

If that is how it works in the UK, it's great and I am happy for you guys. 

But not in my EU country. If a given book is not available, it ends there. Plus books in foreign language or technical subjects are generally not available. 

Anyway at the present time public libraries, as well bookshops are closed due to pandemia. One can still order online. 

This book is currently unavailable from Amazon, but Cousins UK has what is probably a reprint, so I was curious to know if anyone is familiar with it. 

52 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

Book, What’s a Book:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A book is a medium for recording information in the form of writing or images, typically composed of many pages bound together and protected by a cover. The technical term for this physical arrangement is codex. :D

A book is a medium for recording information in the form of writing or images, typically composed of many pages bound together and protected by a cover. The technical term for this physical arrangement is codex. [emoji3]

I did ask:)

That book does have some good information, and I wouldn't say it's not worth the money. But it's really conceived as a textbook for classroom use, to be a guideline. I find how it's written and presented to be more along the lines of textbooks I saw when I was like 12 years old, apart from some of the trickier math calculations; seriously. I don't own it, but there has almost always been a copy in the workshop that belongs to someone or the other.  I would suggest trying to get a hold of a copy as a loaner, from someone, maybe you'll need to offer a deposit (loaning books is always a tricky affair). Have a look through, and see if it's worth it to you. As an overview, and a way to see down which paths you want to find out more information on.

Just grabbed a shot of one of the pages on hairspring work, it's murky enough I think you can see what's going on without infringing any copyright.1113935538_book(Large).thumb.jpg.36040431d2db8abdd382ecc7c48edeaf.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

A book is a medium for recording information in the form of writing or images, typically composed of many pages bound together and protected by a cover. The technical term for this physical arrangement is codex. 

You'll be telling me it is made out of dead trees, or some other nonsense next. :P

I've got a copy as Nickelsilver says its written as a text book for a classroom.

If you want the formula for just about anything in Horology this book has it.

Likewise if you want the theory of how something works its probably in this book.

If you want a book that will teach you how to make a balance staff, replace a cracked jewel or any other 'hands on' technique this is not the book you want.

If you are a hands on type of person I would not recommend this book, if you like to know the underlying theory on why things work than this is the book.

If you have limited money and are looking for books to teach you how to carry out complicated repairs look for Archie Perkins's books.

If you want to know the linear coefficients of expansion of different materials along with the formula to work out the length of a pendulum clock and the effect of temperature on the daily rate so you can make yourself a super efficient clock this is the book for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a copy as Nickelsilver says its written as a text book for a classroom.
If you want the formula for just about anything in Horology this book has it.
Likewise if you want the theory of how something works its probably in this book.
If you want a book that will teach you how to make a balance staff, replace a cracked jewel or any other 'hands on' technique this is not the book you want.
If you are a hands on type of person I would not recommend this book, if you like to know the underlying theory on why things work than this is the book.
If you have limited money and are looking for books to teach you how to carry out complicated repairs look for Archie Perkins's books.
If you want to know the linear coefficients of expansion of different materials along with the formula to work out the length of a pendulum clock and the effect of temperature on the daily rate so you can make yourself a super efficient clock this is the book for you.

I like both and will take that book off your hands:)

I didn't say I didn't want it. :D

Its not my 'Go to' book, but there are times when its useful, especially when you need a formula to work out something, or you just want a greater understanding how something works to let you figure out why whats in front of you doesn't work.

• Like 1