Can't install seconds hand on ETA 2834-2

Hi,

After about 30 minutes of trying to install the seconds hand on an ETA 2834-2, I took a closer look and realized that both the seconds hand and the pinion are "male" type.

All the hand sets available on ebay / amazon have the seconds hand with a solid post; can't seem to find a tube type one.

I"m new to this hobby. Am I doing something wrong ? Is my ebay sourced eta  movement a copy?

Thank you for your help!

WatchManApprentice.

movement side.jpg

movemeny hour and second hands on.jpg

seconds hand.png

zoom in movement.jpg

From your photo it looks like the seconds hand 'is' a female type but perhaps the tip of the pinion has broken in there. This usually happens if a hand-remover is not used. Other means like levering it off with tweezers will apply side-force to the pinion and the hardened steel will not tolerate any bending.

Anilv

• Like 1

Hi Anilv,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

This is a new movement and I am supposed to be the first person installing a seconds hand.

If you look at this picture, the seconds pinion finishes with a shaft/post (I don"t know the exact term to use). 

.WatchManApprentice

PS. I just realized that I had posted in the wrong section. I'll repost my question in the Watch Repairs Help & Advice.

zoom in movement.jpg

Hmm... Looking at the pictures I can't see anything unusual. Could it be that the parts simply don't fit together, i.e. that one of them has the wrong dimension? If that's the case I would say try with another seconds hand as it's very unlikely that the dimension of the arbor/pinion/pivot (?) of the fourth (seconds) wheel is incorrect. Perhaps a manufacturing error!? Chinese seconds hand?

Oh, and don't forget to investigate @anilv's idea!

Edited by VWatchie

Thank you VWatchie for the suggestion!

I will certainly investigate Anilv's suggestion. The hand set I"m trying to install was purchased from ebay and shipped from China. 

I'll give it another try without applying too much force. If it doesn't work I"ll look into getting another set of hands.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to reply!

WatchManApprentice.

• Like 1

parts from China... say no more..!

Anyway, apologies as I was under the impression you were refitting the original hands. Taking another look at the picture of the second you posted, it looks wrong. The size of the tube in relation to the size of the hand looks more like one meant for a quartz watch which has a much smaller pinion.

Anilv

• Like 1