Rookie mistake

JJM

Is it possible that I could of unintentionally shifted the position of the setting lever jumper & connected items removing the handsetting stem roughly?..... The stem is refusing to go back in.... I'm a 1st timer, so this is all a bit new to me.. Just trying to get things clear in my mind before I proceed. 

It's a Ronda 4220b movement (Well it was when I started) With a none functioning date change fault. 

I have the Tech Instructions, which is handy. 

Hi Its entirely possible, Some movements require the stem in the set position when removing the the stem, If not the crown and castle wheels displace and until they are realigned you have no chance,   Remove the dial and hands and inspect the keyless work for shifted parts.

• Like 3

4220B_M_front.png

From the dial side, you may be able to figure out what went wrong. Chances are, as watchweasol said, the crown/clutch parts are out of alignment. Take care if you remove those three screws holding down the top plate, things can escape from their confinement beneath, and vanish into the ether really easily. As this is a quartz movement, those "things" are likely to be particularly tiny, and difficult, if not impossible to locate, and just as difficult, if not impossible to source as spares.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, yankeedog said:

Have you looked into the price of a new movement?

I think that unlike other cases where owners come here asking about quartz modules, here the OP's intent is to learn, not just fix something. Starting with a quartz is perfectly fine, I wish him success.

Edited by jdm

I am trying to learn some new stuff here. I know I can get a replacement unit, however my plan was to at least try to fix this one. Right now the project is on hold as I need some better magnification.... These bits are astoundingly small! 

Thank You for your input folks. 

Edited by JJM

22 hours ago, JJM said:

Is it possible that I could of unintentionally shifted the position of the setting lever jumper & connected items removing the handsetting stem roughly?..... The stem is refusing to go back in.... I'm a 1st timer, so this is all a bit new to me.. Just trying to get things clear in my mind before I proceed. 

It's a Ronda 4220b movement (Well it was when I started) With a none functioning date change fault. 

I have the Tech Instructions, which is handy. 

i think,  once you take the dial off;       you will see how the mistake was made.    good luck.  vin

18 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Did you get the full tech sheet about 6 pages If no I have it If you need it      Cheers

Yeah, I grabbed a copy from the Ronda website. I need to address my lack of vision right now. I'll ebay up a 10x loupe, hoping that will be enough. 

2 hours ago, JJM said:

I'll ebay up a 10x loupe, hoping that will be enough. 

x10 is very strong, normal work should be done with 5x or even less. Get a loop also or you will dropping it all the time and getting face muscles strained. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

I started off with my trusty £1 shop reading glasses that I used to use for close up fiddly stuff @ +2.50 .... They won't "Cut the mustard".....Then another pair at +3.50 nope still not enough....

However giving thngs a whirl with the +3.50 glasses, a little light disassembly from the dial side I am able to see that the round leading end of the handsetting stem is entering into the sliding pinion & then we grind to a halt when the square section of stem arrives, tried twisting & that doesn't seem to help. This is a lack of magnification thing, that & all the stems pinions & levers seem to be mounted on the other side of the 'Main Plate' so I'm thinking further dissasembly will be required. I'm not willing to proceed further until I can see properly, I have noted that jewels are located on the bridges & I don't know if they are likely to make a break for freedom. Should they do just that & I'm working blind...... Well thats not a position I want to put myself in.

On the brighter side, I have inspected as best I can the date indicators & the teeth look, well, "Mangled" in places, the units less so, but the tens look like they've been chewed by a "Rhinoceros"... Cogs being cogs I'm expecting to find further damage when I locate whatever contraption drives this assembly.... I've had a look round for the availability of spare parts & things are looking good, expensive, but good ....... I did loose the battery retaining screw while disassembling however oem replacements are available. I intend to wait until I have the full picture as far as parts go ........ We may well end up in uneconomic to repair fully territory. If this proves to be the case rather than create my very own "Triggers Broom" I'll replace the whole unit & recommission the watch, then work on this unit & mount it into a another watchcase with a dial that doesn't have a date window (Well its good to have a plan) 

Some of you may of seen my other post on my alternative methodology dealing with a damaged Crystal..... That too is a "In Progress" item.

Edited by JJM
Spelling mistake :(