Manuals, Illustrated parts catalogs, etc?

joeyfrost

Hello everyone,

Very new to the forum and glad it exists! Not sure where to look or if there is a section made already for this but, looking to see if anyone has a reputable source of where to get access to various movements and their respective manuals/IPCs. This would help tremendously for me to learn the names of the parts as well as fixing some of my watches. Do things like this exist? Or are they just parts catalogs with no manuals on how to replace individual components? I come from the aviation world where I’m used to finding a parts catalog and also a manual to instruct how to safely remove, replace, and test components and their respective systems to not cause personal injury or component damage. Hopefully watches are the same but maybe it isnt?

Kind thanks in advance,

JF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, joeyfrost said:

Hello everyone,

Very new to the forum and glad it exists! Not sure where to look or if there is a section made already for this but, looking to see if anyone has a reputable source of where to get access to various movements and their respective manuals/IPCs. This would help tremendously for me to learn the names of the parts as well as fixing some of my watches. Do things like this exist? Or are they just parts catalogs with no manuals on how to replace individual components? I come from the aviation world where I’m used to finding a parts catalog and also a manual to instruct how to safely remove, replace, and test components and their respective systems to not cause personal injury or component damage. Hopefully watches are the same but maybe it isnt?

Kind thanks in advance,

JF

Hi there ,here's some reading for you ,hope this helps some of it is a bit deep but with your background you should find it interesting  .If you type pdf into search bar then click on the discussions there .Should be some pdf's to download. You could also watch videos on youtube heaps there ,even have a look at Mark Lovic's watch repair course you will soon learn the ins and outs.https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/

Q&A Student Watchmaker.pdf 302909542_practicalspringing.pdf Practical watchmaking.pdf Fundementals of oiling.pdf

Edited by Graziano
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joeyfrost said:

Mostly old moonphase watches

Moonphase on a watch is a complication as you probably already know has been around for a while  its origins are traceable back thousands of year to the second century BC. This means the moonphase complication predates the birth of the modern clock by more than 1700 years.I f you post up specific questions about a movement some one will get back to you ,because of the time differences it can take a little while but worth the wait , hope this helps .

I also wanted to find stats like what was the original band issues with a particular watch. Currently just purchased a watch from another member on watchuseek and trying to source a period correct and authentic band. Unfortunately i dont know how to look it up!

23 minutes ago, joeyfrost said:

I also wanted to find stats like what was the original band issues with a particular watch. Currently just purchased a watch from another member on watchuseek and trying to source a period correct and authentic band. Unfortunately i dont know how to look it up !

23 minutes ago, joeyfrost said:

That's what I do with special watches. Unfortunately many of the vintage ones are obsolete and if you find one they want 2 arms and 1 leg for them, eBay is a source that I use sometimes just look up your watch and you may see advertised with original band and go from there or Google the watch sometimes it takes a while but eventually you'll find something. Sometimes you'll find manufacturers catalogs that show there watches and bands. They are sometimes expensive but there a good source of information.

Edited by Graziano

I also wanted to find stats like what was the original band issues with a particular watch. Currently just purchased a watch from another member on watchuseek and trying to source a period correct and authentic band. Unfortunately i dont know how to look it up!

Issued*