Can you repair a broken mainspring?

Hi folks,

I've been digging in my spares for a working mainspring for a Vostok 2414a movement, but all of the ones I have are broken.

On these springs there's a short piece of metal spot-welded (?) to the outermost section of the spring ribbon. I think this is to stop the spring excessively slipping. It seems common for this piece of metal to break off.

Is it possible to repair such a broken spring without new parts?

Thanks

Edited by vext01

11 minutes ago, vext01 said:

Hi folks,

I've been digging in my spares for a working mainspring for a Vostok 2414a movement, but all of the ones I have are broken.

On these springs there's a short piece of metal spot-welded (?) to the outermost section of the spring ribbon. I think this is to stop the spring excessively slipping. It seems common for this piece of metal to break off.

Is it possible to repair such a broken spring without new parts?

Thanks

I've done this technique, it works great!

• Like 4

Well, that seems to have worked. The movement now winds all the way up.

Now the true test: does it hold power long enough. With the slipping spring, I only got about 6 hours out of it.

Test underway...

The repaired mainspring held power for just over 33 hours :)

Great tip, thanks for sharing!

Get a new spring from meranom and be done.

That might have been my next course of action, but I wanted to see if I could repair it without buying new parts.

Things take so long to ship from Russia and I didn't want to spend money if I didn't have to.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...