How to clean these jewe?

Hey guys. I'm trying to clean a very dirty train wheel bridge. But this particular bridge's cap jewels are sealed. I can't not remove the cap jewel and clean it throughout. Do you have any experience to deal with it?

BTW, I don't use machine to clean watch parts. Usually I use No.120 Solvent oil to soak and brush parts and then rinse with IPA.

758567482__20200310143846.thumb.jpg.0836a477e1e9a91422029208ab22b589.jpg191923108__202003101438461.thumb.jpg.9a2d86ed0b10d1bde0a169264994c7f1.jpg63930599__202003101438462.thumb.jpg.7fdbdee4660addbbbd855fabe2f2a931.jpg252163939__202003101438463.thumb.jpg.8f0c3cd0e4abc8dffe62dc8be1ed4e55.jpg1039200415__202003101438464.thumb.jpg.b6c436ce6ccbd1a07114c34e2c73977e.jpg

Edited by EatPeach

Hi there that type of jewel setting has 3 holes around the outside edge for cleaning solutions to penetrate ,it looks like a shock spring goes in there but it doesn't  you can soak and do as you say with ipa ,give plenty of time to dry .You can also gently clean hole with pegwood but don't break the end off or you will have to press the setting out ,which is another way of cleaning it if you have a jeweling press . A good soak and a peg then rinsed and oiled it should be good as gold .Hope this helps

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Graziano said:

Hi there that type of jewel setting has 3 holes around the outside edge for cleaning solutions to penetrate . you can soak and do as you say with ipa .You can also gently clean hole with pegwood but don't break the end off or you will have to press the setting out ,which is another way of cleaning it if you have a jeweling press . A good soak and a peg then rinsed and oiled it should be good as gold .Hope this helps

Yes I did soak it several times but the dirt seems a little bit stubborn.

11 minutes ago, Graziano said:

Try soaking in naphtha or lighter fluid overnight with the occasional brushing and swoosh around ,a cheap ultrasonic machine is ok 

OK. Let me try it. BTW is ultrasonic cleaner working better on these jewel settings?

9 minutes ago, EatPeach said:

OK. Let me try it. BTW is ultrasonic cleaner working better on these jewel settings?

Ultrasonic is good for cleaning stubborn dirt and congealed oil of all the watch parts. Put the parts into small jar half filled with lighter fluid , don't put watch parts in water ,sit jar into ultrasonic cleaner which will have some water in it  .A Couple of 3 min runs should remove the dirt 

Edited by Graziano

I think this is what is known as a rubbed jewel. If so you can remove the jewel using a jeweling press and once the jewel has been cleaned you can then rub the jewel back in using a rub in tool. Mark has a vid showing the replacement of a damaged rubbed in jewel see below. HOWEVER I would not (if it was me) attempt without the correct tools. A really good soak and if you have not got a ultrasonic cleaner then use a blower to clear the dirt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As @Graziano said there are 3 rectangular holes in the edge of the mounting to facilitate the flow of cleaning solution. The trouble is that when the oil you're trying to shift is very congealed and you can't get a brush or peg wood in to dislodge it, simply soaking won't work unless you're prepared to do so for a very long time (try weeks!!). 

What you could try though is forcing cleaning solvent through the setting using a syringe of the type you get for re-filling inkjet cartridges after a good soak to soften the gunk. Place the tip of the needle into the hole jewel so that the solvent flushes through the setting, taking the gloop with it.

• Like 2

Usually, but not always, train wheels that are used with cap jewels will not have a pivot with a shoulder, they will look more like balance pivots. If you want to replace with a normal hole jewel you need to verify that the pivot will work; if it doesn't have a square shoulder it won't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Usually, but not always, train wheels that are used with cap jewels will not have a pivot with a shoulder, they will look more like balance pivots. If you want to replace with a normal hole jewel you need to verify that the pivot will work; if it doesn't have a square shoulder it won't.

This is an ETA 2763 Movement, I've seen the normal jewel setting bridge on other ETA 2763/2752 so I just find another ETA 2763/2752 train wheel bridge with normal hole jewel it should works.