Bezels ,case backs ,dust covers

Hi there ,just a little reminder for enthusiasts and diy maybe not the pros ,anyway I got 2 watches today for a service ,firstly a seventies mortima dive watch and a 1920s elgin grade 292 hunter pocket watch . Well it looked like the dust cover on the pocket watch had been opened by everything from a crowbar to  an axe what a mess .The mortima had the bezel bent and huge scratches where someone had tried to take it off . Please use the right tools to  open casebacks ,remove bezels ( no caseback knife ) use bezel remover ,and sharp blade for dust covers . Have an assortment of snapback tools as these are the easiest to damage . Remember to achieve perfection one must leave the timepiece if one can in better condition than when one received it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The big difference between a pro & a hobbyist is often the pro returns the watch with no visible signs of any work but as we all know this is often  not the case. Scraches on case backs, bruised screws are the most common. Before any work on any piece I always photograph and date the photo of any damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi there ,just a little reminder for enthusiasts and diy

I wish that people would read before doing and don't skim on tools and practice watches. But judging from various recent postings is not like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi there ,just a little reminder for enthusiasts and diy maybe not the pros ,anyway I got 2 watches today for a service ,firstly a seventies mortima dive watch and a 1920s elgin grade 292 hunter pocket watch . Well it looked like the dust cover on the pocket watch had been opened by everything from a crowbar to  an axe what a mess .The mortima had the bezel bent and huge scratches where someone had tried to take it off . Please use the right tools to  open casebacks ,remove bezels ( no caseback knife ) use bezel remover ,and sharp blade for dust covers . Have an assortment of snapback tools as these are the easiest to damage . Remember to achieve perfection one must leave the timepiece if one can in better condition than when one received it 

in 1920 s',   a pocket watch was a just a tool - not a hobby.      BUT  IF - you wore a " double brested" watch and chain,  most often will have a small pocket knife at  the end of the chain..   with the key wind,  you had to open the back to wind every day.    cheers   vin   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

Silversmiths:      there are some that can restore silver pocket watch cases - including the hinge and the latch.    vin

I will just service this watch and return it as requested ,besides it tell a story about crowbars and axes:D

On 3/9/2020 at 9:15 AM, Graziano said:

Please use the right tools to  open casebacks ,remove bezels ( no caseback knife ) use bezel remover ,and sharp blade for dust covers . Have an assortment of snapback tools as these are the easiest to damage .

Hi Graziano,

Could you please give us examples for the tools? What are the "assortment of snapback tools"?  I am interested in any advise, any link, any youtube video any details which would give me the ability not to damage/scratch the case/caseback. Next thing to the mainspring which causing me nightmares is opening the watch.

Best regards,

Lui

On 3/10/2020 at 12:20 AM, vinn3 said:

Silversmiths:      there are some that can restore silver pocket watch cases - including the hinge and the latch.    vin

Hi Vinn,

How can be the hinge fixed? Who can fix it? Can you learn that?

Sorry for all of these questions, but I have an unbearable never stopping thirst for knowledge.

Best regards,

Lui

On 3/9/2020 at 9:59 AM, clockboy said:

The big difference between a pro & a hobbyist is often the pro returns the watch with no visible signs of any work but as we all know this is often  not the case. Scraches on case backs, bruised screws are the most common. Before any work on any piece I always photograph and date the photo of any damage.

I want this, i want this, i want this. Every time i make a scratch i die inside. I feel that the watch/clock is dirty and it annoys me a lot. Seriously, it ruins my day and I just cannot let it go. Like an itch which never goes.

19 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

Hi Graziano,

Could you please give us examples for the tools? What are the "assortment of snapback tools"?  I am interested in any advise, any link, any youtube video any details which would give me the ability not to damage/scratch the case/caseback. Next thing to the mainspring which causing me nightmares is opening the watch.

Best regards,

Lui

Hi Lui, have a look at this https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-choose-watch-case-opener-for-watch-case-backs/ you must take your time when opening watches no matter what your doing put your loupe on and have a good look all around the watch read everything on it before you do anything. You can buy Chinese copy of bergeon 5700 screw back opener which is handy to have. Search around eBay and watch material house for the best price and quality you can afford. For some snap back cases you will need a razor blade or box cutter to get the back started. Also get your hands on a crystal press as these are good for snapping the case backs back on, a lot of quartz watches require this method. Always good to have an assortment. But as I said you must not rush you will get better with time 

Edited by Graziano
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Graziano said:

"you must not rush"

It is extremely difficult to hold myself to that rule. I don't think that the next 500 years will be enough to learn everything, I might not even live that long... ;)

Edited by luiazazrambo
correcting english

7 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

It is extremely difficult to hold myself to that rule. I don't think that the next 500 years will be enough to learn everything, I might not even live that long... ;)

Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors. Learn by your mistakes. Just take your time. We are always learning and making mistakes.