Seiko 7009 crown wont press

Hello,

I got my self a Seiko to play with, I was so happy and excited, the watch was in a good condition ( except the broken dial feet), the crown wouldnt press to advance the day but I thought something must be broken, so I disassembled the movement cleaned it oiled it and had no problems (which shocked me tbh) and I even managed to take the diashok springs off and put them back on (I am super proud of my self).

When I pressed the crown after I reassembled the movement the day changed which mafe me even more proud. 

Now when I put the movement back in the case the stupid crown doesnt want to press, it does press when the movement is out.

I cleaned all the junk that was in the crown but that made no difference and here I am 3 am banging my head against the wall.

It's not the original stem is it?

If it is a replacement stem, they may have cut it a little short and there is no room to press the stem inward via the crown. Try unscrewing the crown from the stem one turn if you can, and see what happens. Then you can decide what to do to permanently fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I agree with Gpsluvr. If crown doesn't want to unscrew though, Sometimes the case tube can be pushed further into the case which let's the crown pressed in deeper. 

How did you deal with dial plate, perhaps the broken feet let's movement free to get pushed back as you press on the crown.

• Like 1

You can also take the movement out of the cas and check if the stem/crown can run into the case tube. This is to verify that the crown is the correct one for the case. I've seen wrong crowns with a too fat gaskets with the effects you describe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I agree with Gpsluvr. If crown doesn't want to unscrew though, Sometimes the case tube can be pushed further into the case which let's the crown pressed in deeper. 

How did you deal with dial plate, perhaps the broken feet let's movement free to get pushed back as you press on the crown.

The crown wouldn't unscrew and I don't want to break it, I thought about pushing the case tube a bit in but it doesn't look seperate frome the case.

I didn't deal with the dial yet but I was trying with the dial ring and movement ring in so the movement was secure in its place.

The previous guy used super glue, and dealing with it wasn't fun.

Edited by Ammar

2 hours ago, aac58 said:

You can also take the movement out of the cas and check if the stem/crown can run into the case tube. This is to verify that the crown is the correct one for the case. I've seen wrong crowns with a too fat gaskets with the effects you describe.

The crown does go run into the case tube fully, I do have another stem that has a fat gasket like you said.

51 minutes ago, Ammar said:

The crown wouldn't unscrew and I don't want to break it, , I thought about pushing the case tube a bit in but it doesn't look seperate frome the case.

As often mentioned, you need to apply some heat to loosen the locking agent.
Tube is always a separate part from the case but pushing it in or out is not an easy affair and not the correct solution for your problem.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

A little update:

I managed to put together a stem and a crown that solved the problem but the I had to deal with the stupid broken dial feet which took me like three hours I ended up using blue tack (dial dots aren't available for me and there is no where to put them anyway) now this is the watch after I finished it.20200309_220634.thumb.jpg.615869701f98590f678b95fc424d0368.jpg

Now there is an issue: the damn thing is racing like a mad horse, nomatter what I do to the regulator it's going like 8 min/hour, I had the same problem with a Citizen befor and enden up ruining the hair spring.:Bravo:20200309_220112.thumb.jpg.55720f7501c39929f1ea7bdde17f5ec2.jpg

Hi  You cant get dial dots  ?    I shall have to send you a few  plenty to be had in the UK.  I have your address so when time permits  I will send a few out for you.  You can build a machine for soldering on dial feet If I can get the drawings I will post them also. I build mine from bits the only expense was the box and a couple of switches . You have done ok with the watch well done:Bravo:

35 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  You cant get dial dots  ?    I shall have to send you a few  plenty to be had in the UK.  I have your address so when time permits  I will send a few out for you.  You can build a machine for soldering on dial feet If I can get the drawings I will post them also. I build mine from bits the only expense was the box and a couple of switches . You have done ok with the watch well done:Bravo:

Thanks alot, you don't have to send me any thing that's too much, I would like to see the drawings for the dial feet soldering machine that sounds a fun project :geek:

• 2 weeks later...