My journey so far.

Hi everyone, im ViolinDad.

I tried to get my son to learn violin, and ended learning the violin myself. I love music but am also facinated by watch movements.

However the thing that really gets me all cramped up is the balance wheel. Im both intrigued and yet also fearful of it. Fearful that I will muck up the hairspring.

You known its strange, the thing u fear most somehows comes to bite you really fast.

In my second attempt at re-assembling a 2824, due to poor technique in drying the hairspring, it got stucked together. I tot otherwise, in e process of unscrewing the balance cork, I "molested" the hairspring and its got a kinked in it............and so my journey begins.

I'm hoping to just "sit at the feet" of this really good forum and learn as much as I can, so that I will be able to service my own movments ( and also the wifes), and really enjoy this hobby.

I would like to mention Mark .L. for his wonderful videos tat have started me down on this journey.

I never knew taking and putting back movements can be so addictive! 

So time consuming....but the night is my friend! 

I look forward to it....when everyone sleeps and Im hunched over at the desk, peering thru the eye loupe, fingers are almost craming up due to prolong holding of tweezers and a persistant slight pain throbbing behind my right eye, staring endlessly at the movement...what madness is this?

Normal people look in the ads for great deals on fully functioning watches......i look for watches wif words such as "spoiled", "broken", "needs reapair", "may need a servicing"

Oh wat Joys!

Scratched cases, broken glasses, missing parts and rusted screws.......

Well...thank you for reading. Too much rumblings I guess. But Im so glad I found you guys.

Cheers!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ViolinDad said:

I look forward to it....when everyone sleeps and Im hunched over at the desk,

That is the wrong way to start, it will cause not just physical discomfort but mistakes caused by the awkward position. Either raise the whole desk or build a raiser / elbows support like I did.

Also It's not wise to start right away with expensive watches. Hone you skills first on 10 - 30 dollar pieces, and many of them.

Thank you for your introduction and welcome here.

P3081272.JPG

Edited by jdm

Welcome to the forum,  We have got the addiction bug, No two asprins and a warm bath is going to cure this itch.    Just learn to relax with a good posture ( as jdm Said) take you time and enjoy doing it. If frustration creeps in put down the tools and have a cup of tea.    enjoy        Cheers.

In my part of the world, this table is offered wif 3mnths installment. I really want this! Its not a "pro" watch repair wktable, but its got a motor tat adjust the table height to 118cm, for me this is really very gd.

But i hv got a long list of tools to purchase....but still need an adjustable table for gd posture....so ikea was my fix. Asjistable legs up to 107cm. 

https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/p/gerton-leg-adjustable-chrome-plated-40261627/

I manage to get 4 used at below 70 from an ad. So it works!

Any other recommendations? Maybe I can treat myself on my next birthday.

Screenshot_20200309-224914_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for the reply.

Im thinking of taking the Distance Learrning Course from British Horology Insti. Technician Level

My questions are,

1. Has anyone here taken the course? Any comments + or - both welcome.

2. Is it a gd course to form a solid foundation to UP skill level to prep for future possible commercial work.Or wat is your advise?

Given tat Im a Dad of a yound child holding a 9 to 5 job, supporting aging parents. I mostly have time on weekends.

Guys, im just looking for gd advice here. Im not even sure by posting this question here, am I stepping onto a potential land mine. So pls be gentle wif me if my question is offensive ok or sensitive?

3 hours ago, ViolinDad said:

. So pls be gentle wif me if my is offensive ok or sensitive?

I think that if one's goal is to learn how to repair watches as opposed to a long and expensive runaround of straight filing and hair splitting, the best approach is to enroll the HD video training by our Host Mark Lovick. And of course a solid tool set and some economical watches to practice on. 

Watchrepairlessons.com