Omega 684

jdm

I've got a nice Seamaster ... only I didn't read about its size... it's a ladies :)
It's one of these things that refresh my respect for real watchmaking just looking at it

P3081257.thumb.JPG.1a66268adcbb02ea497926ff53e6063e.JPG

It was described as junk but runs fine with a 2017 service date in the caseback. However it's fast at +70 s/d, I've demagnetized it and looks like the regulator microscrew is all in already. Now, I'm ready to accept this, as messing with it is beyond my skills and propensity to risk, especially when looking at parts prices

684.thumb.png.3f3892dc8c21927060c6c796736291ae.png

However I'm afraid I may have pressed to much on the release, or it was like that already, now the stem isn't held in place, and the release button doesn't appear to move up or down. My question, is there a way to fix this from dial side? I have't removed hands and dial for now.

As far as the crown and stem issue is concerned, I suspect something in the keyless work has moved, most likely the clutch spring. 

You would almost certainly need to remove the dial and hands to get things back in order.

These tiny ladies watch movements are a work of art in my opinion. Take care with the balance and hairspring, fixing a ladies movement hairspring is not for the fain hearted, and they are as rogart63 suggests at best pretty tricky to adjust and at worst, pretty near impossible.

As with everything in this game, take your time, and plan what you intend to do before picking up your tools.

19 minutes ago, jdm said:

I've got a nice Seamaster ... only I didn't read about its size... it's a ladies :)
It's one of these things that refresh my respect for real watchmaking just looking at it

P3081257.thumb.JPG.1a66268adcbb02ea497926ff53e6063e.JPG

It was described as junk but runs fine with a 2017 service date in the caseback. However it's fast at +70 s/d, I've demagnetized it and looks like the regulator microscrew is all in already. Now, I'm ready to accept this, as messing with it is beyond my skills and propensity to risk, especially when looking at parts prices

684.thumb.png.3f3892dc8c21927060c6c796736291ae.png

However I'm afraid I may have pressed to much on the release, or it was like that already, now the stem isn't held in place, and the release button doesn't appear to move up or down. My question, is there a way to fix this from dial side? I have't removed hands and dial for now.

i am  working on this,   no results yet.      nextime,  ill put a drop of penitating oil on the button and wait 20 minutes.  try that.

Thank you both.

I'd be happy enough if I can re-seat the stem release from dial side..
No way I'll do anything balance side, if the hairspring wants to rub, so be it.
When I'll want to learn about ladie's movements I can take on some 4205... or go to the disco :biggrin:

EDIT: I've looked at the parts list.. count of 65 before 18 screws (each one unlike another), and 13 "removable" jewels. Mind boggling.

Edited by jdm

I'm not lifting this bridge without seeing first a video of about it.

P3081271.JPG.e1a6f36292f9202ced5925288abce463.JPG

The hairspring stays by the inner pin, not moving in between. Probably that explains the timing issue

P3081270.thumb.JPG.0b61d3e776f7bfa052fe4aef339e5f23.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 10:26 PM, StuartBaker104 said:

The micro regulator is just for fine adjustment.
You should be able to set this mid-way, then move the regulator arm at the other end to get it pretty close then fine adjust with the screw.

This. And it's actually safer to regulate at the arm, as the micro screw is really too small and close to the balance rib for my taste.

Regarding re-inserting the stem, first note it has no inward chamfer, so the button must be pressed. And said button may remain slightly stuck pressed down, so the calendar plate must be lifted to re-seat it. It's really beautifully built.
Despite having a recent servicing mark on the case back, there was film dark on the plates, and no sign of oiling anywhere. 

P3301276.JPG

Edited by jdm