V & C deck watch. Advice please

Good afternoon. I have got this watch which I believe is a silver German officers marine deck watch circa 1943 by Vacheron Constantin.

My father- in- law gave me the watch in the 1970's and I had it repaired as I remember the balance shaft was damaged. It's not been used since but it no longer works and I would like some advice on what to do please.

Would it be viable to get it repaired and serviced?  Where would I go for this?

Any idea of the likely cost assuming just a service is needed?

The watch has sentimental value so would not be sold. Would anyone have an idea of its value, as this may have a bearing on how I proceed. At some stage it will be passed on to the family.

At the moment it sits in this old watch box. I could just leave it as it is and admire it?

Any thoughts.

P1020927_compress17.jpg

P1020929_compress85.jpg

P1020928_compress72.jpg

P1020934_compress23.jpg

P1020931_compress65.jpg

P1020930_compress7.jpg

P1020933_compress13.jpg

P1020932_compress97.jpg

Because of its history with the swastika on the back. Many people collect anything of Nazi German memorabilia. I would think it would fetch a good price. The movement is high quality as well. If you do intend to sell it be careful, some laws prevent such items of Nazi German memorabilia from being sold.

Follow clockboys advice you can't go wrong. 

It is a jewel.

What you can do, is to search for a high quality crystal for it and who knows maybe a spare movement. A rare piece is happier in the company of it's spare parts.

You will become an appraiser on it, as you hunt it's parts.

Good luck.

A  example Issue number M10822 exactly the same model sold at Mellors and Kirk auction house in Nottingham for £3,200 in 2018 it carried a pre sale estimate of £4,000-5,000 so would expect your example to be in a similar price range.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Good afternoon. I have got this watch which I believe is a silver German officers marine deck watch circa 1943 by Vacheron Constantin.

My father- in- law gave me the watch in the 1970's and I had it repaired as I remember the balance shaft was damaged. It's not been used since but it no longer works and I would like some advice on what to do please.

Would it be viable to get it repaired and serviced?  Where would I go for this?

Any idea of the likely cost assuming just a service is needed?

The watch has sentimental value so would not be sold. Would anyone have an idea of its value, as this may have a bearing on how I proceed. At some stage it will be passed on to the family.

At the moment it sits in this old watch box. I could just leave it as it is and admire it?

Any thoughts.

P1020927_compress17.jpg

P1020929_compress85.jpg

P1020928_compress72.jpg

P1020934_compress23.jpg

P1020931_compress65.jpg

P1020930_compress7.jpg

P1020933_compress13.jpg

P1020932_compress97.jpg

good show.  keep it.  nice display box,   restore that.    i think the M is for navy.     vin

Thanks for all your useful comments and advice. In view of what has been said, I would like to get the watch working and will see what the pocket watch repairers in Oxfordshire have to say. 

Regards

Paul

Page 235 of Konrad Knirim Military Timepeaces has M9491 of this watch. It is a Vacheron & Constantin Geneve calibre 163 with Nickel finish.

It is a 'Class 1' 'Navigation watch (Class 1 being the best) so was for the German Navy as you have already mentioned

Sorry can't give you much more than that, but agree its a high quality collectable watch, so well worth fixing.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Is the small subsecond genuine v&c ?

Yes, there was also a more common deck watch by V.C that did not have a up down indicator  they turn very regular in auctions and go for around £1,500, there are also centre seconds deck watches by V.C.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

Yes, there was also a more common deck watch by V.C that did not have a up down indicator  they turn very regular in auctions and go for around £1,500, there are also centre seconds deck watches by V.C.

Thanks for the info wls. I think min hand is rubbing on the crystal. I bet if op just get that sorted out, it picks up and runs.

3 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Page 235 of Konrad Knirim Military Timepeaces has M9491 of this watch. It is a Vacheron & Constantin Geneve calibre 163 with Nickel finish.

It is a 'Class 1' 'Navigation watch (Class 1 being the best) so was for the German Navy as you have already mentioned

I am fairly certain this is a caliber 162, as the 163 only has a seconds sub dial, while 162 also has an up (auf) and down (ab) indicator below 12'o clock, like seen on this watch. This is a winding indicator.

Edited by Thesecondtallestman

22 hours ago, Thesecondtallestman said:

I am fairly certain this is a caliber 162, as the 163 only has a seconds sub dial, while 162 also has an up (auf) and down (ab) indicator below 12'o clock, like seen on this watch. This is a winding indicator.

I'm only quoting the book, it could be wrong