I am considering selling leather watch straps, but I have a question before I blindly go ahead and produce a bunch of them.

I am wondering if anybody who has worked in the industry for a while can tell me what the most common sizes are of strap pins or lug widths?

I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

• oldboy changed the title to Most Common Pin/Lug Width Lengths
7 minutes ago, JBerry said:

I used to make some leather straps too. But it's dusty work, and I don't have a second workspace for it, so I've pretty much stopped doing it.

photo_2018-02-26_13-19-10.jpg

IMG_5978.JPG

You mean like literally dusty?

They're nice straps!! What size of oblong punch did you use for the buckle attachment?

So far as I have heard, strap widths  come in series of odd numbers ,16 ,18, 20 so on. But most watches manufacturers if not all, produce cases with lugs  in series  of even numbers  17,19,21 . Seems there is a conflict of interest between the two groups. Seems like watch manufacturers have reserved the right to produce correct sizes for their products.

If that is true and you produce what customers needs ( size series by even numbers) you may receive a polite invitation by virtue of which you are  " summoned " to a court of law where law suits are filed against you.

If my story is untrue and you intend industrial scale production,  I guranty you success going with the even number widths only.

Good luck.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

So far as I have heard, strap widths  come in series of odd numbers ,16 ,18, 20 so on. But most watches manufacturers if not all, produce cases with lugs  in series  of even numbers  17,19,21 . Seems there is a conflict of interest between the two groups. Seems like watch manufacturers have reserved the right to produce correct sizes for their products.

If that is true and you produce what customers needs ( size series by even numbers) you may receive a polite invitation by virtue of which you are  " summoned " to a court of law where law suits are filed against you.

If my story is untrue and you intend industrial scale production,  I guranty you success going with the even number widths only.

Good luck.

How common are the larger lug widths like, let's say, 22-28mm? Are such larger lug widths more common than 12-18mm?

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Not common, reason why I didn't mention. Be aware, in my opinion that is a full market.

Okay, cool.

Every market in today's world is saturated it seems. I don't see it as a problem, but rather market validation :)

10 hours ago, oldboy said:

You mean like literally dusty?

They're nice straps!! What size of oblong punch did you use for the buckle attachment?

I used a very fine knife to cut out for the buckle attachment... But a punch would be a better job, all depends on the kind of buckle you use.
Dusty from sanding, cutting, shaving and burnishing. Little flecks of leather get everywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldboy said:

What size of oblong punch did you use for the buckle attachment?

I suppose one can use a punch but normally notch cutters pliers are used

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/notch-cutter-pliers-cousins-swiss-style

I suggest that you gave a look to their strap section to get an idea of the offering. And what you see there isn't even 10% of what is globally available.