Polishing mineral glass with diamond paste.

Hi there ,I have used diamond paste ,depending on how deep the scratches or damage is start with a course cut and a tiny bit of oil on a brass lap and work it in straight lines ,then clean off thoroughly and the lap before you step up to a finer cut .Then do the next cut at 90 degrees to the last one that way you can see the progress . go all the way to polish it .You can do this on sapphire crystal but it takes a lot longer . Sometimes it saves a lot of time to just buy a new one . Hope this helps 

I have a Citizen Crystal Seven which had very deep scratches in the (very thick) glass. Wet and dry wasn't having much effect, so I used a 1000 grit diamond whetstone (plenty of water). It worked really well, then I moved on to diamond paste. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2020 at 2:49 PM, mikepilk said:

I have a Citizen Crystal Seven which had very deep scratches in the (very thick) glass. Wet and dry wasn't having much effect, so I used a 1000 grit diamond whetstone (plenty of water). It worked really well, then I moved on to diamond paste. 

In what grit sequence did you put the paste?

I bought a cheap set of pastes from ebay, they range from W40 (about 320 grit) to less than W1 (8000 grit).  I started with the W40 on a Dremel with hard felt disc.  Even the W40 didn't cut as much as I expected, which is why I used the diamond 'whetstone'. I think I then went to W20, W10, W5, W1. The end result looks good, but it's a lot more work than the few minutes it takes to polish acrylic.

As explained by jdm  scratches in sapphire and glass take longer the remove as the material is harder and requirers a staged approach with finer grit and polishes to achieve the desired finish.  Acrylics are a differnt matter being easily polished with the likes of  Sovolautosol, brasso, toothpaste the usual household products  or the propritry branded polishes specific for the polishing of watch glasses..  A friend of mine who makes Glasses  used a several stage system using different grits/polishes done by machine to achieve the Optical range and desired polish.