I have bought my first roller remover

Luci

Hi there, I have bought my first roller remover, it arrived 3 days ago and today I wanted to use it to remove the balance roller from a Roamer. The problem is that the tool is not sharp enough to fit under the roller, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't remove it (but I am still not sure,  maybe I am wrong). I will attach some photos of the roller remover maybe someone can tell me if the tool is supposed to be like that or not. That slit in my opinion should be razor sharp, instead this one I think is more than 1 mm thick.    

Thank you.

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-15h36m40s105.png

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-15h37m44s635.png

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-15h37m59s402.png

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-15h38m05s547.png

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-15h38m51s326.png

I guess that it could be made to work, with the careful application of a small file, but I like my tools to work, out of the box as it were.

I have bought a few cheap tools over the years, but my oft broken personal rule is.. 

Am I likely to use the tool often?

If so, buy a good one.

If not, buy a cheap one, but expect to have to buy a good one if it turns out to be junk, or if it turns out that I need to use it often.

image.thumb.png.77dbb2084ac0b24afc55f57a84022399.png

You can see why it is often tempting to go for the cheaper option, but I know which of the two of these is more likely to work, and to last a lifetime.

Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised by something you assumed would be rubbish, which turns out to be good. The Lidl and Aldi own brand stuff is often surprisingly good quality German manufactured, for example (though they also do some compete rubbish), whereas the more mainstream supermarkets and DIY stores often punt nothing but cheaply made stuff.

I also find that quality used tools are often a much better bet than cheap new ones.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

That

11 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I guess that it could be made to work, with the careful application of a small file, but I like my tools to work, out of the box as it were.

I have bought a few cheap tools over the years, but my oft broken personal rule is.. 

Am I likely to use the tool often?

If so, buy a good one.

If not, buy a cheap one, but expect to have to buy a good one if it turns out to be junk, or if it turns out that I need to use it often.

image.thumb.png.77dbb2084ac0b24afc55f57a84022399.png

You can see why it is often tempting to go for the cheaper option, but I know which of the two of these is more likely to work, and to last a lifetime.

Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised by something you assumed would be rubbish, which turns out to be good. The Lidl and Aldi own brand stuff is often surprisingly good quality German manufactured, for example (though they also do some compete rubbish), whereas the more mainstream supermarkets and DIY stores often punt nothing but cheaply made stuff.

I also find that quality used tools are often a much better bet than cheap new ones.

12 hours ago, MrRoundel said:

I bought a non name-brand remover like that. When I got it I looked at the thickness at the jaws and figured it would be like that. Wasn't expensive. Seems useless. Good luck.

That is right...I keep telling me ''don't buy cheap'' but then when I need a tool I go like ''let's try maybe this time....'' you know what I mean. Yea, buy cheap buy twice!!! I know and I knew it! 

I swear it is the last time.

As a matter of fact I manage to remove that roller with 2 razor blades and cheaper than that can't find :).

Btw Redrooster agreed for a refund...

Thank you for replying.

Lucian 

To clarify, I use Lucian's tool very often and like it. However the Swiss made variant! It is stamped BRADUX sometimes. Should be available used for low cost.

In pre-internet times I imported lots of Indian horological tools, but only selected items that were usable - never this roller remover. Different from Indian and today's Internet dealers, I was able to discern between useful and rubbish items - being an active watchmaker.

Frank

The good news is that they will refund me the money and don't want that tool back anymore. In the beginning they've replied like "I have sold more than 100 pieces and there was no complain..." then I have sent them those pictures and they apologised. 

Now I need to find a way to sharpen those jaws...or not. With razor blades works pretty good.