Roller too tight - how do I reduce the roller seat on the balance staff

I have a new balance staff to fit an Omega 26.5. It fits OK apart from the roller being too tight.

Is there any way I can reduce the roller seat diameter, as  I'd rather do this than broach the roller?

I don't have a lathe, but do have a Jacot tool - but can't see a safe way to do it.

Any ideas ?

0001.png

When I was in school I worked evenings in a trade shop (servicing multiple stores) that was for all intents and purposes a "hack" shop. No lathe, but I was required to wire brush the back of every dial (?!)... and so had a Dremel hanging at the bench. I quickly got all the restaffing work too, and found I could chuck the staff in the Dremel and stone down such diameters pretty effectively. It killed me as I'm a lover of lathes and turning, but the watches went out and ran well.

My boss would just broach the roller. Usually a new one, as he'd crush the original trying to force it on. Nice guy though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

When I was in school I worked evenings in a trade shop (servicing multiple stores) that was for all intents and purposes a "hack" shop. No lathe, but I was required to wire brush the back of every dial (?!)... and so had a Dremel hanging at the bench. I quickly got all the restaffing work too, and found I could chuck the staff in the Dremel and stone down such diameters pretty effectively. It killed me as I'm a lover of lathes and turning, but the watches went out and ran well.

My boss would just broach the roller. Usually a new one, as he'd crush the original trying to force it on. Nice guy though.

Good idea - I have a Dremel clone.