Looking for a tripod

I’m looking for a tripod I could place on my desk and record the occasional video tinkering with watches.
It will only be used for this so it doesn’t have to be all singing and dancing tripod. However, the camera will need to be facing straight down and also different angles. Ideally one I could adjust the height fairly easily if I need to zoom in and out without too much fuss. And the legs shouldn’t be in my way while I’m working. I don’t want much do I?!
I’m looking for a starting point what to look for and what to avoid.

It’s a good start and I get better suggestions when I look on Amazon. This one wouldn’t work for me because of the two rails that would be on the desk. I work on the edge of my desk and I'd have to move towards the centre.
Something like this tripod would probably suit me better although I’m not sure how low I could go. If I add extension tubes to the camera I might need to go very low.
I’d love to see other set ups, I caught a glimpse of Mark’s set up in one of his videos but it’s not showing me enogh.

Just now, PeterS said:

I’d love to see other set ups, I caught a glimpse of Mark’s set up in one of his videos but it’s not showing me enogh.

I have seen it in various stages of evolution and it's much more that what is occasionally shown. Not high-end as in motorized setups or cinema body and glass, but way above what is needed to take excellent still pictures. If you want to have an interactive, friendly conversation about the gear that suits you best I suggest to visit or join dpreview.com com

There are some long reach that you mount onto the bench at one edge and it wont slip. This gateway type is massive, I imagine suitable for heavier cameras and equipments.

I gather names and  terminologies at amazon or similair sites to start your search, you wont be happy with ones you don,t like so it be detinned to rest in garage.

Good luck.

The traditional setup for vertical use is called a camera copy stand, decent versions of those are not cheap either.  If you want an articulated arm, those are pricey too, and you will have to look at pro equipment. 

I have a Manfrotto tripod where the center column can be mounted at right angles to the tripod so that the camera can face down. This is pro level equipment (bought for other purposes). 

Depending on how heavy of a camera you want to support, you may be able to hack something up out of a clamp on architect lamp. Cheap and cheerful :-)

Guys, I didn’t expect finding a tripod would be such a pain.

It’s not a DSLR heavy camera but it’s a fairly hefty M43 sensor camera close to 1Kg/2lbs with the lens.

I sent an email to Wex Photo (retailer in the UK) giving them my requirements. I’m hoping they know their tripods well and will be able to recommend something suitable. If not, I might have to make a trip to a shop and look for one. Looking at pictures on Amazon and other places does not give me the confidence I’d get the right one. I already have a mini Manfrotto tripod I bought for something else and it didn’t suit the job.

By all means keep the suggestions coming, I’m still browsing and looking. Whether it’s cheap or pro level, as long as it does the job.

12 hours ago, PeterS said:

It’s not a DSLR heavy camera but it’s a fairly hefty M43 sensor camera close to 1Kg/2lbs with the lens.

I think one of these flexible / snake ones will do just fine. Get the type with a clamp at base.

10 hours ago, vinn3 said:

this is an  opertunity to build one !  the tri pod is used in chemistry labs.   a very good one is an acsessory to the 1934 Leica camera.     vin

the design of the chemists ring stand would be better,   thru bolt the stand to your bench.   vin

To be honest I just want buy something that will do the job instead of making it.
The tripod they suggested looked good at first, no doubt it is a good tripod but I think it is too big. Lowering the camera would spread the tripod legs all over the desk.
My latest promising find is a Manfrotto Magic Arm. There are different versions of it and similar products by other manufacturers. It can be attached to desks, tripods or anything suitable. No need for a tripod head either.

• Like 1