Patek philippe pocket watch parts availability..?

Hello,

A was recently given this PP pocket watch as a renovation/repair project and find it in a nice visual condition. Dial is close to perfect, no cracks or hairlines. Balance is fine and the movement starts nicely with a bit of force on the central wheel. A couple of wolfes teeth (as I think they are called) are broken from the barrel wheel but that doesn’t seem to influence too much.

But...the mainspring appears broken and the second hand is missing and I can’t seem to see or feel any pivot to put the hand on so afraid the pivot may be gone as well.

Have almost entirely worked on wrist watches and have no experience from sourcing pw watch parts.

What are my chances to find a mainspring for the movement?

I think this is a pretty good movement from a major manufacturer so maybe that changes the odds ?

The second hand wheel comes next and I will know more when I have taken the movement out of its case.

I appreciate any info available on this movement. The searches I made on the movement number gave nothing in return.

25213a58fc0de9fad852a6cf6c6bef44.jpgea69c4a28767b66ec707542e42899a3c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The movement number appears to be a serial number..  American pocket watches for instance the serial number will usually reveal a model number.. Then from the model number you get a list of parts.  Other ways to identify watches not just pocket watches the diameter of the movement and picture of the setting parts found under the dial. The setting parts of watches form what's known as a fingerprint system  there are various old catalogs showing those pictures you can identify movements. Or  there is the second website link below you can enter in parameters somewhere in the site to help you narrow it down or in my case I just guessed. There is not many watches listed by this company there.  Then you do want to compare your photos with the site below just to make sure I guessed correctly..

Then  parts from this company  for the most part  nonexistent. The real question is whether they went with a custom mainspring or whether that was off the shelf? The only way you're going to know is you'll have to disassemble and measure the mainspring if you're lucky may be an off the shelf spring will fit.

Then the first link need more information about this watch they will look in their archives for you for a fee.

https://www.patek.com/en/retail-service/extract-from-the-archives

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Patek-Philippe_18H5

• Like 1

Thanks John,

Ranfft is usually my number one info source but as my pw experience is limited the thought to look there never surfaced...

But it looks like the 18H5 could be it. My s/n is 127676 so presumably a bit earlier than the Ranfft example from 1913.

And btw the case is stamped 18k so presumably of value due to that. It’s fitted with a plastic crystal so I guess something happened with the original at some point. Another item on the list to look into.

If there’s more experience or knowledge out there, please bring it on!

And I’ll feedback my findings as I start to dig into the thing.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a very, very nice watch, basically the best possible quality, so be careful with it. A mainspring will be obtainable, with a hole at both ends and a t-shaped brace/bridle. You will not get any other parts sadly. The broken teeth on the ratchet wheel are a real pain, it is a very complex part, making the seconds hand pivot look easy.

Best wishes and good luck, if you send it to Patek you should expect a quote in excess of 10,000 pounds/dollars/euros!

Thanks for feedback and assessment.

As you, I’m beginning to understand that this is a bit ”special” and not to be handled carelessly.

I will start to look around for main springs in the direction you mention but would appreciate any hints on suppliers specialized in pw springs.

3 hours ago, bsoderling said:

I will start to look around for main springs in the direction you mention but would appreciate any hints on suppliers specialized in pw springs.

How do you know that you need a "specialized supplier" ? Just like with any other repair start by measuring the MS and the barrel, then look in the search engine by Cousins UK. Remember that an close approximation is OK to use.

Also, the ratchet wheel will absolutely have  to be repaired, otherwise when winding the next teeth will take a big shock and will break eventually.  Micro-welding perhaps may work? or a new one is to be made. That is, of course a job for a Master Watchmaker.

Thanks jdm,

As mentioned earlier my experience from pw-repair and parts is really nothing to write home about and I was assuming that mainsprings with endings as indicated might not be in supply by Cousins. If I’m wrong I’m all the happier. Will investigate closer what they have.

And I’m sure you are right, a full repair definitely require competence way beyond me :)

11 minutes ago, bsoderling said:

And I’m sure you are right, a full repair definitely require competence way beyond me :)

I didn't say you should do not touch it - but I would to a total beginner. The choice has to be made by the owner, based on market / sentimental value and how much it would cost have  it repaired. But technically speaking you may be able to obtain the MS, and even find someone that micro-welds the wheel then cut teeth or make a new one. I doesn't take that much time with the correct equipment.

Edited by jdm

No worries, just wanted you to know that I’m experienced enough to know my limitations. Have serviced and ”repaired” up towards a 100 wrist watches of cheaper origin and age and know that unexpected things may happen any time concentration slips.

Mainspring swap should be in my reach here but I’ll tread carefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You situation is a bit like one that I have in being hesitant to work on a friend's Vacheron wrist-watch. Fortunately it doesn't seem to have deep problems, but it is a bit daunting due to the potential cost of messing things up, despite best efforts and intentions. Good luck with the Patek. It's a beautiful pocket watch of the highest quality. Cheers.

Thanks John,

On the other hand, there’s a thin line between developing your skills and being too bold...

Luckily there are lots of cheap stuff around to go wild and crazy with.

I have another thread going on the forum concerning h/s adjustment that is driving me nuts. I got that one for something like 1 euro. :)