Putting in shock springs

vext01

Hi all,

I've been fiddling with watches for a couple of months now and I'm starting to build confidence in taking them apart and reassembling. However, the one task I consistently struggle with is putting back the springs on shock jewels -- the ones with three prongs extending from a central circle.

I find manoeuvring the prongs under the lip under tension to be really difficult. I'm using two pairs of sharp tweezers head-mounted magnification. Usually the spring pings off when I'm trying to insert the final prong into the groove.

So I was wondering if the fine folks here have any tips? Perhaps there's a three-pronged tool for this? If so, what's it called? How is it done at the factory?

I saw a youtube video where someone made a tool out of pegwood, a bit like a smaller version of a hand-pusher. I tried to emulate this, but found that my pegwood splits when I try to hollow out the centre.

In case it makes any difference, I've been practising using Vostok 2124a movements on account of them being very cheap to source.

Thanks!

Edited by vext01

Hi everyone,

The tool arrived!

I get the impression it's supposed to be mounted into something (like a screwdriver handle). Is that right? What would I use?

I did manage to use the tool without, but my goodness, it was hard!

What does yours look like?

It's the tool sold by cousins linked above.

image.png.d5395777a0bea1589ba5676de7f4e7dd.png

You don't get a sense of scale from the picture. They are about the size of a small drill bit. Quite hard to grip by hand. I think they are supposed to be mounted into something.

2 minutes ago, vext01 said:

It's the tool sold by cousins linked above.

image.png.d5395777a0bea1589ba5676de7f4e7dd.png

You don't get a sense of scale from the picture. They are about the size of a small drill bit. Quite hard to grip by hand. I think they are supposed to be mounted into something.

Mount on a pin vice, otherwise called stem holder tool. 

Ya you can get them as low as $4. Also remove roller table with it, stems to file the end to shape, many use, 

Check Amazon, Alibaba, eslinger  it is general tool.

Edited by Nucejoe
Removes Canon pinion too.

I fought with one of those "Trishock" type springs for a while. I think part of my difficulty was that the replacement jewel I got was sized for an Incabloc, not Trishock. It was larger, so was putting too much tension to the spring. Once I got a parts movement that was likely to have the right jewel, I used it and had less of a problem. But it was still a bear to get the three prongs set into the setting. I used a piece of pegwood to hold the jewel (oh-so-lightly) while I spun the prongs into the setting with my 3C tweezers. It was very difficult and at times I believed impossible. I was suprised when I finally got it.

If that KIF tool works for the Trishocks I may have to purchase it. I just wasn't sure it would. And I haven't found any branded Trishock tools. Congratulations for getting the shock spring set. Cheers.

If that KIF tool works for the Trishocks I may have to purchase it.

The benefit of the tool seems to be that it both secures (preventing "ping" moments) and turns the spring in a one-handed tool.

But as I say I can't fully vouch for it until I get a pin vice. I also don't want to remove another spring unless I really need to. They are a total pain and a  source of almost endless frustration :)

You can get many uses out of a pin vice, I may have shown some. I think I post em again or its further uses.

I mount a defective hr gear on pin vice, to push hairsprings home with on balance staffs 

Pull Canon pinion out with it.

Remove roller table off of balance staff.

Mount small rotors brush on vice pin, put the vice pin in a drill. You can use it to polish watch crystal or glass. I will post some pix soon, have a better camera .

The benefit from kif trio tool you bought is to get the task done without inflicting damage to the spring. Little shock spring tend to get damaged by even a sewing needle.

A shock spring is suppose to respond to shocks, in the event of a shock, a defective spring  may jump out of the assembly before doing any good.

• Like 1