Fishing line snapped

gideon

Hi!

We've got a case clock where the fishing line from which the weight is suspended has snapped. I'd like to reattach a new length of line myself but I see the wire went into the centre of the barrel via a little hole and I haven't a clue how to access this without totally disassembling the clock. Any ideas?! 

many thanks

x

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

Hi    We would welcome an introduction.   The fishing line to refer to is a gut line as you rightly say for carrying the weight.  What make of clock is it and was the line on it origional.  Some of these lines can be fitted by attaching it to the barrel and hand winding it up, once done attach the weight and gravity does the rest.  Other clocks will require a bit more work gaining access to the pulley. some more pictures of the clock rear might be helpfull.

What you have here is a Vienna regulator Timepiece clock, with dead beat escapement. When it comes to fitting a new line you will have to take the movement to pieces. You will then have to take the barrel to pieces in order to fit a new line. Any good clock supplier will be able to provide you with the correct line for a Vienna clock. I can give you more assistance in this repair if needed. 

• Like 1

Hi there oldhippy - you are so correct. That is EXACTLY the type of clock I have, when I googled the term you mentioned.

I would love some guidance on this repair if you have time.

Backstory: the reason the repair is necessary is because every third time I would wind the clock, the 'gut' would escape from the barrel and wrap itself around the side of the barrel and bind. I would then have to tease the 'gut' out from where it was stuck and eventually when I was teasing it out it just snapped. Understandable.

In your view is this the kind of repair a competent and careful individual could perform themselves? I am used to working on watch innards to a point (disassembling to get at batteries) but have never attempted clockwork repair.

Thank you

Hi there - quick question - does it have to be 'gut' line? It appeared to be nylon/plastic fishing line that was in use, I have ready access to three different ratings of fishing wire which seems identical? Otherwise I could order a 1.2m length of gutline but have a feeling it might be same stuff? Thanks