Pocket watch sub second hand

rickyb

Yes, it's possible. The proof is in your own two hands, so to speak. ;) If there is not seconds bit (separate circle) under the center of the dial, you have a watch without a second hand. It will have been designed like that. This was often done to house a hunter case watch (winds at 3 o'clock) in an open face case (winds at 12:00 o'clock). It's quite common on ladies sizes, which the 6s is generally considered. I'm not familiar with what the grade "W" is. They ran anywhere from 7 jewels to 17J, I believe. I don't recall seeing a 6s Waltham with more than 16-17 jewels. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 2:17 PM, MrRoundel said:

Yes, it's possible. The proof is in your own two hands, so to speak. ;) If there is not seconds bit (separate circle) under the center of the dial, you have a watch without a second hand. It will have been designed like that. This was often done to house a hunter case watch (winds at 3 o'clock) in an open face case (winds at 12:00 o'clock). It's quite common on ladies sizes, which the 6s is generally considered. I'm not familiar with what the grade "W" is. They ran anywhere from 7 jewels to 17J, I believe. I don't recall seeing a 6s Waltham with more than 16-17 jewels. Enjoy.

Thanks so much for the insight,  I'm a new pocketwatch collector and I have started taking them apart to clean and oil. ..... but now I think I might be completely hooked.  So much to learn and understand, but once you put that little beauty back together and it starts to tick WOW! what a feeling.  Thanks again Rick. 

• Like 1