Digital MultiMeter reviews

The guy behind this is not just very competent, but also generous and systematic in sharing his analysis. I have learned a lot about practical electronics and was able to chose a modest DMM that altough satisfying for general use, is not good enough for complete quartz module testing. The search continues.

https://lygte-info.dk/info/DMMinfo.html

Some of the low cost meters do have frequency ranges, and since a quartz watch typically operates at a relatively low frequency, they should be able to measure the crystal fairly accurately. Some may even do a reasonable job of measuring 1Hz.  I'll have a play with mine and see what I come up with.

Even the really cheap ones, particularly if they are based on the DTM0660 chip-set are often capable of true RMS and frequency measurement.

I have a really cheap Victor VC 921,  that I (as my alter ego "itsthatidiotagain") hacked about a while back.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-victor-vc-921/

http://www.kerrywong.com/2016/03/19/hacking-dtm0660l-based-multimeters/#comment-874169
There are also some of the Aneng models that might fit the bill.

I wouldn't trust any of the cheap'n cheerful Chinese low cost meters near "real" electricity, as their CAT ratings are usually unverified, and wildly exaggerated, but for this kind of work, they are probably fine.

Edited by AndyHull

1 hour ago, jdm said:

The guy behind this is not just very competent, but also generous and systematic in sharing his analysis. I have learned a lot about practical electronics and was able to chose a modest DMM that altough satisfying for general use, is not good enough for complete quartz module testing. The search continues.

https://lygte-info.dk/info/DMMinfo.html

right you are,  the simple "multimeter"  is not sensitive,  presisign, enough  for electronics.     I can't remember the one that was.  i'll drag the one out that is.   also,  accutron  had a special meter for that mvt.  (I have one  of  those too).   ALSO;  I think we have a eleictronics engineer in this forum?   OH - how I hate eleictronics  !    vin

Hi   I found the best meters for quartz watch work were the moving coil meters especially when checking the coil and pulses from the Block. I used to use a    TAYLOR 8 or an AVO meter, both large meters but very sensative,  You can see the pulses on the needle..   I now use a purpose build Quartz analyser which uses a LED array to determine the movement functionality and battery state.

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Some of the low cost meters do have frequency ranges, and since a quartz watch typically operates at a relatively low frequency, they should be able to measure the crystal fairly accurately.

Correct. But I was referring more to measuring the very low absorbed current, and resistance/continuity of the coil without blowing it told in a recent topic. The latter specification of low voltage ohmeter required your dear to scour through the entire database to find that only 7 models use 0.4V or less, fortunately all but one are very cheap. I'll get one and will update this thread once I can verify that it does the job correctly. 

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I wouldn't trust any of the cheap'n cheerful Chinese low cost meters near "real" electricity, as their CAT ratings are usually unverified, and wildly exaggerated, but for this kind of work, they are probably fine.

An aspect well highlited in all the reviews of the website above.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   I found the best meters for quartz watch work were the moving coil meters especially when checking the coil and pulses from the Block.

Probably "taut band" meters. I've learned myself what that is on this occasion. I like the Sanwa and I'm thinking to get one, again not all can measure very low current. The Chinese also make some decent products.Back in the days even my coutrye made a very accurate and versatile one. The manual even had diagnosis and repair instruaction, you can still buy used but isn't cheap.

Hello    A few years ago I had this setup for quartz watches build on the lines of the seiko test set It enables you to drive the watch from an external source, test the upper and lower voltage limits and also current consumption. the black box was connected to the meter and the readings taken. One could  also test batteries and drive watches using the 3v coin cells.  The circuit was designed by officers of the AWCI i think as it is quite a while ago.

DSCF3283.JPG

DSCF3284.JPG

DSCF3285.JPG

• Like 1