Best Fake Rolex Submariner GMT

Before you judge me hear me out.

I saw that that Marlon Brandos GMT from "Apocalypse Now" recently sold.  I though it was a very cool moded watch.  It was modified to look like a military field watch.  With Rolex's roots being in robustness and heavy active use this seemed like a cool idea.  The watch had the bezel removed and a non metal band.  Definetly looked like it was a tool more than a fashion accessory. I wanted to make one like that for fun, but of course wasn't going to trash a real one.  So I am looking for a high end replica GMT or regular Sub to do this to.  I plan to remove the bezel, put a leather or fabric band on it then scratch the stainless case and fill the scratches with grease or paint to make it look like it has seen some action.

Wearing it I won't feel like too much of a poser because most people won't think it's anything other than an old beat up watch.  Those that do notice that it is a Rolex I will explain about it as I did above. So definitely not a fake status symbol.

I know there are some replicas out there that are almost indistinguishable from a real one both internally and externally that go for over $1,000.  i don' t need one of those.  It has to be made of good rugged external components so I can really beat it up.  I imagine this can be found in the $250 range.

Thanks,

Adam

• Confused 1

Your logic is sound, sensible and fiscally intelligent given its intended purpose. The topic of replica and fake watches is a very sensitive one around serious watch aficionados. For many, it's a verboten topic, others are a bit more understanding of the concept in certain situations. Trust me when I say that if you deign to acquire a replica with the full understanding it will never be treated as anything as such, you won't be stealing food from the mouths of the children whose parents work for the real companies!

Below is the original watch 

8CB_0214.thumb.jpg.1b759bda4b8e86b3fef95b8d640954b2.jpg

There are so many rough 'n ready fakes out there, that might suit your needs, 

However if you want to actually create your own (and thus arguably not support the crims that sell the fakes), you can for example buy a set of GMT hands for a Chinese clone and roll your own . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Edge-Luminous-Watch-Hand-GMT-fit-for-Mingzhu-3804-Automatic-Movement/323583512110?hash=item4b57148e2e:m:m6UXzd7hp0FnIbTwl9bBRhQ

You could also create your own dial, or.. pick up a clone from the usual suspects.

I guess it all depends on how much you have to spend and how close to the original you want to go with your "theatrical prop".

The lowest cost option might be DG3804 Chinese GMT movement for around £30, a set of hands, and a case. The rest would be down to your creative talents.

4 hours ago, adamb11 said:

I saw that that Marlon Brandos GMT from "Apocalypse Now" recently sold.  I though it was a very cool moded watch.  It was modified to look like a military field watch.

Wait a minute- are you sure it was modded to look like a field watch and not just beat up through normal usage?  Maybe your missing the point of the Brando piece.  Buy a nice watch that will last a lifetime and wear the hell out of it.

It's more about the project.  Maybe collecting the parts is the way to go to make it a full "Adam" creation.  I guess the only fake part then would be if I put a Rolex dial on it.  But maybe what I really want is to find a neglected GMT or Submariner and go from there.  Could I find one that is running but missing bracelet, bezel, scratched crystal for $1k?

Unlikely, but you are correct that assembling one from parts would be cheaper (well, assuming you have the tools and skills to get it back together) than buying a genuine secondhand.  I've done two Omega Speedmasters that way- it was cheaper than buying a secondhand Speedmaster but only if you exclude the money I spent on tools, oils, etc.

I may just buy parts and have some fun to see what I end up creating.  I guess weather or not I put a Rolex dial on it is kinds irrelative for what I am doing which I guess is "Make a Rat Rod tough looking has some stories to tell field watch"

Which movement do you recommend?  Are any of these submariner and not GMT or can I assume they are all GMT?

ETA2836; Seagull2836; Miyota8215/8205DG2813/3804(GMT)

Thanks,

Adam

The 2836 isnot GMT, there are some modded versions around which turn it into a GMT but they have issues...... same for the Miyota's and DG 2813, no GMT.

The ETA 2893-2, the Seagull 2557 and 2533, and the Hangzhou HZ6460 are real GMT movements....The DG 3804B can be modded for a GMT hand.

Just to educate me a bit.  The GMT hand is not on the same post as the regular hour hand. This is so it can be adjusted to the secondary time zone.  This means it is driven by the same hour gear set but is clutched somehow so it can be set by a different position on the stem?

When I see movements that say "GTM" but only show a normal hour and minute hand set can I assume there is a place for the GMT hand?  If so why wouldn't they include or show that hand as well?

Thanks,

Adam

11 hours ago, markr said:

Some use the same hour hand and you adjust the bezel for the second time zone.

That is what, far from being a GMT, is called a "world watch" with the names on the bezel. Beside that the 2nd time can't be read directly, it becomes just cumbersome for timezones with a 30 minutes offset.

3 hours ago, adamb11 said:

So again then.  if I purchase a movement that says it is GMT should I be concerned that the picture does not show all three hands on the center post?

I think you should be concerned first about its price. The Chinese do not make them, a actually they do not make much quality watches anyway.

This watch isn't about the quality.  It's about the fun of making it. Like making a model car. I had a good time making it and adding my own details that weren't' there like mud splatter and a rust spot on the fender.

I also think it's a good fishing lure at social events.

I think someone who knows watches would ask about this thing. Regular people wouldn't. Gouges and scratches on the case?  Where's the Bezel? Did that used to belong to an underwater welder who worked on wounded submarines like a road side assistance service of the sea?

I think my first response is going to be that "It was a nice watch but the guy I stole it from put up a fight and the alley way fight that ensued took a tool on everyone including the watch."

I rarely ask about common high end watches people have in social gatherings. So many who own them only have them for status. Most can't tell you the history of it or why they even got it, other than "I liked it."

Even if the inquisitive individual thinks it's stupid to make a fake beat up Rolex based on a picture I saw of a movie prop, at least I found a watch guy to talk to.

• Like 1

I really can't decide if Brandon's watch is beat up, because it was a movie prop, or beat up because the poor thing got beat up as a result of the anarchy that took place while filming the movie.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/the-strained-making-of-apocalypse-now-1758689.html

Either way, re-creating it is a legitimate goal as far as I am concerned, after all, I have to confess to being subscribed to Adam Savage, and if it comes out half as realistic as his blade runner binoculars (spoiler alert, they are fake too), then I await the results with interest.

EDIT: Is that a Seamaster he's wearing?

EDIT2: I do believe it might be. -> https://iknowwatches.com/adam-savage-myth-busters-watches/

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

I traded a watch with a friend for a fake Tudor Black Bay, It's a lovely solid watch but I can't bring myself to wear it as it makes me feel cheap and fake, I never thought i'd have scruples about it!

Well! I just went through sixteen pages of watches in my Imgur account and it seems i've not even taken a pic of it!! :huh:

John :)

• Like 1

I think the distinction between Fake, Replica and Homage watches needs to be discussed here. I think it's clear the OP desires an Homage above all else.There is an entire cottage industry devoted to modding Seiko SKX series watches into homages of many popular luxury brands. They're never sold as fakes and the're highly collectible and pull down prices more than double and sometimes triple the sticker price of the original Seiko. Another homage movement I've seen are based around the Chinese made "Parnis" brand. They sell complete and parts to build "Panerai" homages. There are techniques for weathering, aging and patina-ing dials, hands and cases to look old and weathered. I think with the clear understanding of the OP's desire for this watch and his statement that it doesn't have to be a real or a fake or a Replica trying to be passed off as authentic, we should ease up on the Flambe he is receiving. Just my $.02

• Like 3