Omega Incabloc spring

Stevelp

So I’ve been slowly working on my first Omega, a  Chronostop with an 865 caliber movement and so far things have been going fairly smoothly...until this evening.  I was removing the lower incablok  end pieces to clean the stones and the spring snapped.  I seem to have found a suitable replacement on my parts but it seems as though the piece left in the plate is stuck.  So my question is, does the setting need to be pushed out to put the new spring in?

Thanks Nucejoe for the for the info.  So I'm guessing a jewelling tool would be the best tool for the job?  I have access to one but have never used one.  If I'm looking at this correctly would it push out from the dial side to the balance side?  Also does the setting bottom out against the plate or does one need to measure the depth of the setting in the plate before removing it?

You get neater result with the jeweling tool. 

I insert the jewel housing as far "in"  or " out"  whichever it takes to correctly position the staff. Correct staff position is one that nothings rubs, for one you would observe the fork not to rub on the roller neither the balance wheel on main plate..so on,  you would also want adjust the end shake in the meanwhile,  .01 mm or .02 mm is good for end shake.

Push from inside ( balance side) out towards the dial side.

Good luck.

Normally you should push from the dial side towards balance. But if you were to go that route, you would need to push the housing all the way out, to insert the spring in the housing groove.  I cheat a little push in other direction so I could insert the spring in without having to fully remove the housing.

Either way should you see the housing not refit snug tight, you can gauge to make bumps on the outer face of the housing to get a tight fit.

I leave the hole on the main plate that housing fits in, undisturbed.

Good luck 

• Like 2

Last year I successfully replaced an Incabloc spring without pressing out the setting. I struggled for hours it seems before finally succeeding. I just kept figuring that it found a way out (didn't break), so there was a way back in. It was extremely challenging.

Another fun one is the Tri-shock springs that are made to be removed. It took a long time for me to finally get it in place on the STD 96-4/Gruen 505 that it was on.

The bottom line is that it is doable, but make sure it's not a customer's watch that you need to keep the man-hours to a minimum. Otherwise you'll be making lemonade-stand wages by the end of it if you're lucky. Well, good luck.

1 hour ago, MrRoundel said:

Last year I successfully replaced an Incabloc spring without pressing out the setting. I struggled for hours it seems before finally succeeding. I just kept figuring that it found a way out (didn't break), so there was a way back in. It was extremely challenging.

Another fun one is the Tri-shock springs that are made to be removed. It took a long time for me to finally get it in place on the STD 96-4/Gruen 505 that it was on.

The bottom line is that it is doable, but make sure it's not a customer's watch that you need to keep the man-hours to a minimum. Otherwise you'll be making lemonade-stand wages by the end of it if you're lucky. Well, good luck.

Please take a closer look at the pic OP posted, shows the housing set somewhat deep inside the hole, only in pieces could the spring have come out of there. 

• Like 1

Interesting. I don't have that much experience with them. I only know that a few said it couldn't be done when I did it. I certainly defer to those who have worked with them more than I have. It may just be that Gruen I was working on had the setting sitting up further in, or above, the plate. I don't recall. It's probably good you saved the OP from chasing a moonbeam. Cheers.

1 hour ago, MrRoundel said:

Interesting. I don't have that much experience with them. I only know that a few said it couldn't be done when I did it. I certainly defer to those who have worked with them more than I have. It may just be that Gruen I was working on had the setting sitting up further in, or above, the plate. I don't recall. It's probably good you saved the OP from chasing a moonbeam. Cheers.

Agree, since housing is commonly set as you say " above" the main plate, so the spring groove is accessible, On this piece, however, someone may have pushed it in, perhaps for end shake adjustment. Regards 

• Like 1