Watch repairer recommendations

Instead of starting a new post hope it's OK to add to this one. I took delivery of a vintage Timex Marlin 1970 that I purchased on eBay. The stem seems to jiggle slightly even when it's pushed in. I also noticed that when the watch is upside down the second hand stopped ticking, I jiggle the stem and it starts ticking again. Any ideas what the problem could be. I did some research and what I read was that it could be the balance wheel to do with the second hand and the setting lever plate to do with the stem. It's such a lovely watch and ticking as I type, but for all I know it could stop working again. Is it worth keeping or would it be best to contact seller for refund.  Part of me wants to keep the watch. The champagne sunburst dial looks amazing. But the watch won't be any good if replacement parts are going to cost a fortune. Cheers

Paul

Screenshot_20200212_202820_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200212_202955_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200212_202924_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Instead of starting a new post hope it's OK to add to this one. I took delivery of a vintage Timex Marlin 1970 that I purchased on eBay. The stem seems to jiggle slightly even when it's pushed in. I also noticed that when the watch is upside down the second hand stopped ticking, I jiggle the stem and it starts ticking again. Any ideas what the problem could be. I did some research and what I read was that it could be the balance wheel to do with the second hand and the setting lever plate to do with the stem. It's such a lovely watch and ticking as I type, but for all I know it could stop working again. Is it worth keeping or would it be best to contact seller for refund.  Part of me wants to keep the watch. The champagne sunburst dial looks amazing. But the watch won't be any good if replacement parts are going to cost a fortune. Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

Bought a bellmatic ,which I've wanted to do for years ...I bought it as a fixer upper.

Shall I just send it to seiko themselves and go for their fixed repair rates or to a reputable watch repairer?

Or is there someone on this forum who would be willing to fix it themselves 

Many thanks Jonathan 

8 minutes ago, Jonbooker44 said:

Shall I just send it to seiko themselves and go for their fixed repair rates or to a reputable watch repairer?

I don't think that any Seiko service center would take it, with the excuse that parts are not available anymore. So the second option is the only viable one.

It would be difficult for us to take on the responsibility of someone else's watch. Meaning if we make it work worse or it gets lost in the mail, you'd be out a watch and we could be stuck with responsibility for it. 

A couple months back, Mark restored a bell-matic. It's a surprisingly complex movement. I own one in good shape, glad I didn't get one needing anything. 

• Like 1

I can confirm that Seiko won’t take it back. There are few people out there that can do the repair. I agree with above, while I’m working on a Bell right now, I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking on yours for the above reasons as well as if it’s needs more work other than a service. There’s Klein Vintage Watch in Colorado, but he’s expensive and usually completely booked. The Watch Bloke in UK, he wasn’t accepting jobs, but I haven’t checked recently. And Adrain at Australia Vintage Time. He’s awesome, fair prices, busy as well, but does great work. Lastly I would suggest maybe Nick at Orion watches. He could also do the work, don’t know anything about availability and prices. But Seiko definitely won’t take it cause it’s vintage and they don’t have parts.

Good Luck

21 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

It would be difficult for us to take on the responsibility of someone else's watch. Meaning if we make it work worse or it gets lost in the mail, you'd be out a watch and we could be stuck with responsibility for it. 

A couple months back, Mark restored a bell-matic. It's a surprisingly complex movement. I own one in good shape, glad I didn't get one needing anything. 

Caliber 4006?   What is Complex about it. Put one on the bench, you will change mind.

We are here to learn, Jonathan.  I am afraid  your post may be in violation of forum's policies.

Regards.

7 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Caliber 4006?   What is Complex about it. Put one on the bench, you will change mind.

We are here to learn, Jonathan.  I am afraid  your post may be in violation of forum's policies.

Regards.

@Nucejoe, you'll agree that the 4006 is NOT an entry level movement for novices or beginners. There are many parts that are not readily sourced by someone just getting started. The OP was already corrected in another post for solicitation, I don't feel this question was a direct solicitation, but as with anything in life, it's open to interpretation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

@Nucejoe, you'll agree that the 4006 is NOT an entry level movement for novices or beginners. There are many parts that are not readily sourced by someone just getting started. The OP was already corrected in another post for solicitation, I don't feel this question was a direct solicitation, but as with anything in life, it's open to interpretation.

Oops. Hadn't seen the first post.

5 hours ago, Heather said:

Hi. I inherited an Enicar sherpa graph watch from my father. Can anyone recommend a reliable repair shop in New York City? This watch has a huge sentimental value, so I don't want to entrust it to just anyone. Many thanks for any suggestions. Heather

Hello and welcome. Please stop by this topic here and introduce yourself to the group. It's a courtesy we all give each other. Thank you.

• 10 months later...

Hi An introduction would be in order please,   We have a section just for that purpose.   I take it the watch in in its case if so then the hands are loose on the canon and hour wheel, could you post some pictures .   What type of watch is it , whats the make and caliber of the watch. All relavant regarding diagnosis.

Hi   can you post some picture of the movement and or the make and caliber,  As its a clone /fake  the movement could one of several that they use.  If the hands are just moving when you turn the watch by hand they maybe just loose      if they turn whilst you are winding or the automatic is trying to wind the watch during wear that,s a different storey and is likely to be a broken pallet/fork or one of the wheels is adrift.

The thing is that there’s nothing broken 

it’s just that some part needs to tighten the crown so that the hands don’t twitch when you move the hour hand 

you would have to see it to know exactly 

could I hand it in, 

don’t know where you are

im in London w3