Timex Q movement swap

philipk65

Hi Everyone,  I have a 1980 Timex Q quartz watch that was a graduation gift and hasn't worked in 20 years (battery corroded).

I bought a working one off of EBay and want to swap to movement. I've seen online all it takes is pulling the crown/stem out and the movement, face and all

comes right out. Not this timex. I looks like there is a ridge round the case and some sort of metal fingers at need to be bend to remove movement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!   Kevin

24 minutes ago, philipk65 said:

Hi Everyone,  I have a 1980 Timex Q quartz watch that was a graduation gift and hasn't worked in 20 years (battery corroded).

I bought a working one off of EBay and want to swap to movement. I've seen online all it takes is pulling the crown/stem out and the movement, face and all

comes right out. Not this timex. I looks like there is a ridge round the case and some sort of metal fingers at need to be bend to remove movement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!   Kevin

The 'metal fingers' hold the dial onto the movement..........

This watch, like most of, if not all, of Timex's early quartz watches , is a 'front loader', in that the movement comes out of the front of the case, after removing the crystal. On some the front bezel has to be prized off to remove the crystal, on others the acrylic crystal has to be removed with a crystal puller, like this:-

P6vY69W.jpg

With these ones it is obvious as the crystal has a high dome and pronounced vertical section that protrudes above the watch case, that the jaws of the puller engage on....

Hi  Thats better although the one of the movement is a bit out of focus.  Judging by the dial there has been water/moisture ingress.    Is there a model number on the back.    It does look as though the movement is removed through the front.  As JohnD mentioned  you will need a crystal lifter to remove the crystal and then the movement.  I am not familiar with these at all, but to remove the stem look for a release lever, pull the stem out and observe how it is locked in place. Some require you to lift the release lever and others require a pair of tweezers to open the locking spring. I recall that it was shown in an earlier post so have alook via the search in the top right under timex.