are these interesting?

Ammar

Hello, I have been looking for a new project for a while and I wanted something new and interesting  so I found these two watches but I couldn't find any information online on them because the guy who is selling them just sells used stuff and has no idea about watches so I want to no if they're worth my time.

461220364_0.jpg

531478025_0.jpg

2 minutes ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

The Seiko is a horrible re-dialed hodge podge. I wouldn't touch that.
The Tag is even worse fake.

thank you very much I probably wouldn't have known if I got them because I'm new to this hobby.

may I ask you about this one then, do you think it would be a good project.

(I know the crown is missing but I have a lot of crowns laying around so it's not a big problem)

531473211_0.jpg

Hi   The other two if you can get the pair for £15  worth it for playing about with. on the seiko's look on the case backfor a series of numbers then look at the dial under the 6 oclock position  there should be some numbers  eg  7009     084 or the like  these should match some of the numbers on the back  if not they have been cobbled together for sale the whole handfull   £20 to 25  no more.

2 hours ago, Ammar said:

(I know the crown is missing but I have a lot of crowns laying around so it's not a big problem)

Only the crown or also the stem is missing? And even if if you had the stem, would your crowns fit well?

Is not difficult to bring back old Seiko 5 to wearable conditions, just do not expect them to be "best of breed".

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   The other two if you can get the pair for £15  worth it for playing about with. on the seiko's look on the case backfor a series of numbers then look at the dial under the 6 oclock position  there should be some numbers  eg  7009     084 or the like  these should match some of the numbers on the back  if not they have been cobbled together for sale the whole handfull   £20 to 25  no more.

they're more expensive than 25£ I am not getting them.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Only the crown or also the stem is missing? And even if if you had the stem, would your crowns fit well?

Is not difficult to bring back old Seiko 5 to wearable conditions, just do not expect them to be "best of breed".

I bought a part lot the other day (mainly Seiko) and there's a lot of stems and crowns so I'm not worried about that (although I'm the unluckiest guy in the world and it's gonna turn out that I don't have this particular crown)

I don't really care about wearing the watch I just need to practice, it's hard to find decent watches here because we don't have ebay and people just tend to throw their old watches away.

Hi  If you are looking for movements/watches to practise on then I reccomend the Russian watches Wostock  Raketa Plojot etc  they can be picked up for a few pounds each, in most cases working. If you make a mistake working on them you have not lost a lot.  Worth checking out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  If you are looking for movements/watches to practise on then I reccomend the Russian watches Wostock  Raketa Plojot etc  they can be picked up for a few pounds each, in most cases working. If you make a mistake working on them you have not lost a lot.  Worth checking out.

I'll see if I can find any of these brands here, thank you.

20 minutes ago, Ammar said:

I don't really care about wearing the watch I just need to practice, it's hard to find decent watches here because we don't have ebay and people just tend to throw their old watches away.

Does it have to be from your country? You can buy on Ebay in Europe or even worldwide, many sellers ship internationally to the actual cost.

23 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Second  on Russian  movements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Does it have to be from your country? You can buy on Ebay in Europe or even worldwide, many sellers ship internationally to the actual cost.

shipping isn't the problem with ebay, it's the paying method the government here banned PayPal a couple of years ago and turkish credit cards aren't accepted on  ebay, some sellers accept bank transfers but they're are really expensive.

also I am not a Turkish citizen so transferring money isn't that easy anyway.

1 hour ago, Ammar said:

shipping isn't the problem with ebay, it's the paying method the government here banned PayPal a couple of years ago and turkish credit cards aren't accepted on  ebay, some sellers accept bank transfers but they're are really expensive.

I see. Maybe you will make some friends here or elsewhere to buy on your behalf.

33 minutes ago, jdm said:

I see. Maybe you will make some friends here or elsewhere to buy on your behalf.

I really hope so, it's really frustrating when you want to do something and you can't do it because of a stupid reason  that's out of your control.

thank you :thumbsu:

On 2/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, watchweasol said:

On 2/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, yankeedog said:

Second  on Russian  movements.

I definitely second that too! For example: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   I am surprised you didnt find any there are usually plenty on ebay to be had, try the Racketa,  Sekonda,  Just look up russian watch movements.in general

Yea we don't have ebay here :mad:

35 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  sorry did not realise you guys are limited , what have you got access to in the way of a market place.  We sort of take it for granted the fact we have free access to the web uncensored.      cheers

No eBay is not censored in Turkey, (other sites are} and even if it was VPN are normally used to circumvent, but the OP cannot use PayPal as he explained above. Other countries are also like that for sure, or impose crazy duties, etc. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1