Lots of watches with lots of problems

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Most members use the noted material suppliers, In the UK the likes of Cousins.uk, Gleave&co, AG Thomas, for old bits and parts Obsoletewatchandclockparts.co.uk . Europe  Speedtimercollection, The USA Jules Borel, Esslinger, Timesavers, Canada  Perrins. The best advise is to have a look on the BHI site in uk for lists of suppliers and likewise in America AWCI both will have lists.

1 minute ago, watchweasol said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Most members use the noted material suppliers, In the UK the likes of Cousins.uk, Gleave&co, AG Thomas, for old bits and parts Obsoletewatchandclockparts.co.uk . Europe  Speedtimercollection, The USA Jules Borel, Esslinger, Timesavers, Canada  Perrins. The best advise is to have a look on the BHI site in uk for lists of suppliers and likewise in America AWCI both will have lists.

Thanks for the list! I'll check those out

Hi  Judging by the shape of the tube its had a hard life. you could try pressing out the tube and straightening it or replacing it.  When asking a question Its always adviseable ti include pictures of the movement back and front and also the caliber number so that members  can Identify the movement and therefore point you in the right direction regarding parts.     cheers

12 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Judging by the shape of the tube its had a hard life. you could try pressing out the tube and straightening it or replacing it.  When asking a question Its always adviseable ti include pictures of the movement back and front and also the caliber number so that members  can Identify the movement and therefore point you in the right direction regarding parts.     cheers

I will add those pictures now!

That Hamilton has potential.Valuable and desirable. Before you get busy on it I am going to suggest you practice on some lesser watches first. There is a touch to this that can only be learned by doing.I know I mangled a few. in the mean time gather some tools together a movement holder a set of screw drivers and tweezers.the economy grade sold by esslinger are pretty good for the money. good luck and keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, yankeedog said:

That Hamilton has potential.Valuable and desirable. Before you get busy on it I am going to suggest you practice on some lesser watches first. There is a touch to this that can only be learned by doing.I know I mangled a few. in the mean time gather some tools together a movement holder a set of screw drivers and tweezers.the economy grade sold by esslinger are pretty good for the money. good luck and keep us posted.

Will do! Sorry for the late reply! All I need for a "complete" set of tools is some proper tweezers.

this is by no means  a complete  set. But the basic tools  needed.  Don't use your  girlfriends  eye brow tweezers..they won't work.And " precision " screw drivers from harbor  freight  won't  cut it neither.  They go down  to 1mm..most of the  screws  on a watch are about .8mm.

Edited by yankeedog

On 2/25/2020 at 6:29 PM, yankeedog said:

this is by no means  a complete  set. But the basic tools  needed.  Don't use your  girlfriends  eye brow tweezers..they won't work.And " precision " screw drivers from harbor  freight  won't  cut it neither.  They go down  to 1mm..most of the  screws  on a watch are about .8mm.

I have a set of bergeon screwdrivers so I'm good in that category 

Hi  Thats a good start now for the tweezers, The best are Dumont but not cheap get a couple of pairs and also a brass pair and a good movement holder  Bergeon 4040 will do for starters.  The one thing with this hobby is that it is no cheap pastime         Have a look in the search box for tools as this subject has been covered many times       Cheers